You Are What You Drink

Tom Van Dyke

Tom Van Dyke, businessman, musician, bon vivant and game-show champ (The Joker's Wild, and Win Ben Stein's Money), knows lots of stuff, although not quite everything yet. A past inactive to The American Spectator Online, the late great Reform Club blog, and currently on religion and the American Founding at American Creation, TVD continues to write on matters of both great and small importance from his ranch type style tract house high on a hill above Los Angeles.

1. Avatar Jason Kuznicki says:

My favorite is Orval, made by Trappist monks.  Uh-oh.Report

2. Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

I’m a huge fan of Arrogant Bastard myself.  Also  La Trappe Quadrupel.  Okay, all of the Trappist ales are heavenly.

If I was stuck on a desert island and could only have one beer for the rest of my life, I’d probably pick Anchor Steam.  If you put a gun to my head.

But if you asked me to pick my top ten beers, I’d just have to say, “Almost all of them”.Report

• Avatar Will H. says:

Actually, La Trappe is not a Trappist ale.
      They did some outsourcing with the brewing work.
      I believe it’s St. Bernardus that brews the La Trappe products these days.Report

3. Avatar b-psycho says:

I too, am an Arrogant Bastard.

Other faves of mine: Sierra Nevada’s Torpedo IPA, New Belgium’s Trippel, Founders’ Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale & their Kentucky Breakfast Stout.  I like my beers big.Report

4. Avatar Maribou says:

Fin du Monde. Overproof, cheap, yet surprisingly high-class. 😉

I am in the enviable position lately of drinking more homebrews (made by friends) than commercials… of course, that’s for the unenviable reason that I’ve barely been drinking! Hooray for the upcoming summer of sloth.Report

5. Avatar Kyle Cupp says:

That’s good stuff, but I have to be in the proper mood for it.  I’m a Stella Artois guy, on most days.Report

6. Avatar Matty says:

My tastes vary but for this I’m going to have to say

7. Avatar Freeman says:

I’d say a good portion of the arrogance is reflected in the price, but it’s a decent beer, and I always get a laugh reading the label.

My favorite: Odell IPA. Full-flavored, very tasty, and about 60% less than Arrogant Bastard.Report

8. Avatar dmf says:
    From 09/04/2012

Most recently, I was a Golden Dragon. Before that, a Pirate.

Fortunately, I have not yet gotten to the Sudden Death.Report

9. Avatar Stillwater says:

I’m with ya about Arrogant Bastard Ale. Tastes even better outa one of these steins

I kid!

Actually, I’ve recently had an unfortunate set-back when it comes to beer consumption. It no longer agrees with me. Maybe the wheat? The hops? I dunno what in particular, but it doesnt’ like me anymore.Report

10. Avatar Jaybird says:

Does the Bible mention beer?

11. Avatar DensityDuck says:

Flying Dog Tire Bite for beer, No. 209 Gin for liquor.Report

12. Magic Hat.  I tend to get their seasonal boxes, which have a nice variety of whatever they’re offering.Report

13. Avatar wardsmith says:

I’m an omnivorous ale consumer, partial to IPA’s in the winter but lighter fare in the summer. My favorite beer on a hot day is Newcastle Brown and ya gotta love  their ad campaign vs Stella’s:

• Avatar Kazzy says:

Likewise for me, though not a Newcastle fan myself.  IPAs and pale ales in the winter, heffs in the summer.  Of course, sometimes I just settle in and toss back Bud Heavies.  Meh.

For booze, still primarily an American whiskey/bourbon guy, though trying to learn my way through Scotch.  Reading “The Rum Diaries” has me curious about revisiting rum.  Bulk of my experience was with Captain Morgan style crap through college, so curious about that world.

But, much as I am in real life, I’m flexible and just go with what my current mood dictates.Report

• Avatar Kimmi says:

gotta have a dark and stormy… dark rum is sooo good.

My current favorite liquor is Root:

• Avatar Kazzy says:

I’ve had D&S’s, though honestly, never really thought about the rum in them.  Oof!

Now that you remind me, I had a FANTASTIC dark rum drink at my local Irish bar.  I was going 4-5 times a week at that time (not an alcy, but I was a teacher taking the summer off and staying at my parents empty house; bar was 2 blocks away and I went there for company; plus I was 22).  Anyway, the barkeeps and I became friendly and they pulled out a bottle of this stuff that they said they don’t even sell, they only drink it themselves.  All Irish and Scottish guys, right off the boat.  Amazing.  My friends and I still talk about that stuff.  Supposedly they made it themselves.  Regardless, I gotta find more of that.Report

14. Avatar Burt Likko says:

#1:

#2:

#3:

15. Avatar Fish says:

My favorite is Samuel Adams’ Oktoberfest.  When it isn’t available, I turn to Left Hand Brewery’s Sawtooth, an ESB, and I also picked up a sixer of a bock New Belgium is making now (though I can’t find reference to it on NB’s website…maybe it isn’t a NB product?).  I also like Boulder Beer Company’s Hazed and Infused, a dry-hopped ale.Report

16. Avatar Kimmi says:

7/8 Black Patent

Step mash: 122, 144, 152, 162, 170

43g Perle (7.0) @ 60
    3/4 First Gold (7.2) @ 15
    1oz. Tettnang (4.5) @ 5

Yeast: wlp006 Bedford

Like a porter should be.Report

18. Avatar Rufus F. says:

It seems like we all have similar tastes. Actually, maybe it’s just that I’ve drank most of the beers other people have mentioned here in the recent past. Many of them are in my bag of empties right now. Tonight, I finished off a bottle of Chimay Première, which I think I blogged about during beer week at the League.Report

19. Avatar Miss Mary says:

“You are what you drink.”

Let’s hope not. I just fell in love with duck farts.Report