Leaguefest 2012: Rooms Going Fast

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

I’m rooming with Will.Report

2. Avatar Snarky McSnarksnark says:

I’ll be coming from Orange County, California.

I’ll be driving a rented car.   Does anyone want to come with me?Report

3. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Anyone flying in on Friday that wants to share a cab or car, let us know.

Also, for those that are Vegas regulars, any suggestions for daytime activities, in or out of the city?Report

4. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Come on people! Make this happen! Come to Las Vegas!Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

I was on hiatus when this was being planned, and since one of the things I hate most in the world are people who don’t pitch in and then complain about the result, I won’t do that.  But, simply as an explanation, on Memorial Day weekend the kids are all home and the family’s together.  Not a time I can get away, even for something as fun as this sounds.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

I would love to be there. However i have a bike trip to Europe in  a couple days and we are going back east for two weeks in june so it didn’t seem wise to spend more money. That’s the best excuse i got. I do like Vegas though even though i don’t really gamble. I hope it goes well and there is another one. You live stream an event so we can watch.Report

5. I really wish I could make it. Anyone in the northeast interested in a “Leaguefest East” for sometime toward the end of summer?Report

6. Avatar Mary G says:

What activities are planned? I am mostly concerned about how much more they will cost. Will non(alcoholic)drinkers be tolerated? (I am willing to be a designated driver, if necessary.) This is so vastly outside my comfort zone I am actually contemplating it.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Planned activities are a meetup one night and dinner the next. No one will force you to drink although I suspect there may be some good-humored peer pressure. Leaguefest East for Memorial Day this year means the Palace Station or Hoover Dam.

But an eastern U.S. venue for a future date is certainly a good idea. NYC or DC or NOLA all would be good. For now, let’s get as many Leaguesters as we can out to LV NV next month.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

There would be at least one person that would not give any hard time at all for doing the nonalcoholic thing. And I bet I’m not the only one.

So don’t let that be a deterrent.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

Tod is not the only one.  I can’t promise I will be alert enough to kick people in the metaphorical shins for giving you a (non-affectionate) hard time, but I will certainly be on board with you not drinking. Heck, having been the least-drunk person for multiple Vegas shenanigans, and having therefore had to do stuff like figure out how to get 3 people on the right bus and home safely while seeing double, I would be outright *grateful* to know at least one person in the room was sober. 😀 – though I certainly wouldn’t expect you to shepherd us.  It would just be nice to know.Report

• Avatar Stillwater says:

This is so vastly outside my comfort zone I am actually contemplating it.

RIGHTEOUS!Report

• Avatar Boegiboe says:

We are bringing ingredients for this non-alcoholic cocktail if you’re interested.Report

• Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

For the record, I’m… like… broke.  Well, as broke as you can be and still be able to consider Vegas.  I think my total budget for the entire trip is under $300, not counting gas.

So one nice dinner, and a night of drinks, and probably I’ll be spending the rest of the trip sitting by the pool.Report

7. Avatar Alan Scott says:

I would love to come, but by memorial day weekend I will be in full crisis mode for the gaming convention that I’m running.  I’m in for next year.  (And in the mean time, gaming-interested leaguers should come over to San Luis Obispo and visit my thing in late June).Report

8. Avatar James K says:

Burt, we shoudl probably tlak at soem point about gettin set up for soem kind of Skype-in.  I’d love to be able to drop in, even if only in a virtual sense.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Two problems need to be addressed: first, I think it’s unlikely that there will be a quiet place like a conference room available for skyping. This is intended to be a symposium in the classic sense — a social event — rather than the modern academic sense. Second, my laptop is on its last legs and I actually wasn’t even planning on bringing it. Someone can bring a better device, but it’s going to have to be someone other than me, and we’ll have to figure out where and when it can be done. Perhaps we can set aside some time in somoene’s room.

These are problems that could probably be overcome. Please feel free to send me an email: My screen name with no spaces, [at] gmail.Report

• Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

I have a laptop, an HD projector, and a partridge in a pear tree.  I can bring that stuff easily (again, van).Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Pat, would you plan on bringing those? Maybe we can set up a conference or something, or if someone has splurged on a big room we can have a mini-conference there. I will not have much time over the next few days to work with my contact people at the LVH, unfortunately; however, I don’t think there will be a lot of demand for their conference rooms on Memorial Day weekend so maybe we can get something worked out.Report

• Avatar Will Truman says:

The partridge and pear tree either stay in your van or our room’s deposit is your responsibility, Pat.

(I can bring stuff too, if needed. Pat’s stuff is probably better than mine, but I have laptops coming out of the wazoo. No projectors or birds, though, and my dog would probably be miserable.)

9. Avatar Erik Kain says:

We’ve made reservations and I will be doing my best to improve my alcohol tolerance in the coming weeks. Look forward to meeting everybody.Report

10. Avatar Boegiboe says:

Burt, you should get in touch with Jason in case there’s anything you need done ahead of time. We will be in Vegas for the week in advance of the symposium, so if something desperate comes up last minute that needs personal attention we can do it. You should have our mobile numbers, and we should probably have yours.Report

11. Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

Saturday afternoon I need to go here.  Lots of us should go.Report