Quick, turn on E! so we can see if he’s dating JWoww!

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Rufus F. says:

I think Breitbart wanted to be a rock star of a sort. And he certainly died young like they do.Report

2. Avatar greginak says:

This isn’t really a response to this post, but have you watched Maddow? I’ll admit i haven’t watched her show in quite a while so maybe its changed. But she really doesn’t’ fit in with the blowhard brigade and does engage in actual thoughtful respectful discussion. She has a point of view which she does not in any way apologize for or engage in spin about being  fair and balanced.

The rest of the post…oh yes..very true and sad. Shallowness and lack of actual investigation is the  worst bias of the MSM.Report

3. Avatar sonmi451 says:

Well, Jeff Zeleny is not exactly  Mr. unknown reporter hungry for instant celebrity, he’s pretty well-known already, no? He seems to think Santorum wasn’t really angry, just doing it for effect sso he can campaign on “I was tough on those biased MSM guys!”Report

• Avatar Michelle says:

This does seem to be a Republican theme–oh those nasty guys in the mainstream media, they’re out to get me. It also seems to be a sure winner for Republican candidates. Palin, Gingrich, and Santorum have all made bashing the “liberal” media a staple of their campaigns–red meat for the base.Report

• Avatar Michelle says:

Ask Gingrich or Palin. They seem to be its biggest victims.Report

• Avatar Tom Van Dyke says:

Actually, liberals are the biggest victims of the liberal media: they only get half the story.Report

• Avatar Michelle says:

And you get the full story from conservative media like Fox? Hell, you’re lucky if you even get the facts. All media has a bias of one kind or another, which is why it’s worthwhile to make an effort to get news from different sources. And if you stay away from cable news infotainment.Report

• Avatar Tom Van Dyke says:

I get both sides, Fiona.  I’m bilingual.  Did you hear this one?  Very disturbing.

“…a hot microphone picked up the following exchange between President Obama and Russian President Dmitri Medvedev :

President Obama: On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it’s important for him (apparently referring to Vladimir Putin) to give me space.

President Medvedev: Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…

President Obama: This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility.

President Medvedev: I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir.

What, precisely, are “all these issues” (besides missile defense) that President Obama plans to solve in his second term? Why has he shared them with the Russian president but not the American people?

Why the reference to his “last election?” Would he not be able to do what he wants if he had to stand for reelection?

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

FWIW, if you google (as I just did now) “hot mic Obama” you get immediate links to this story from CBS, ABC, LA TImes, Washington Post, Chicago Sun Times, msnbc, CNN, and media-ite before FOX.

So sidetracking the issue of whether or not what Obama said was true or proper, the narrative that the MSM is ignoring this story does not appear to bear weight.Report

• Avatar BSK says:

Facts?  We don’t need no stinkin’ facts here!  Tom has a point to score!Report

• Avatar Tom Van Dyke says:

This one’s too big to bury, RTod, and too new for me to be alleging that.  I asked Fiona if she’d heard of it.  Had you?

I’m very disturbed by this, and the point of your OP was that we focus on trivia.  Well, we’ll see what comes of this, because this is serious [although Mr. Greg has already tried to wave it away.]Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

I have to be honest that I’m not sure what I think of it yet.  On the one hand, I assume any President running for a second term plots out what they are going to do and say differently in the election year than they do otherwise.  I am also sure they privately say this (in confidence!) to world leaders, party leaders, and donors.  So in that fashion it seems quite the dog bites man story.

And yet I can’t deny that it’s disturbing to see it being done.Report

• Avatar Michelle says:

Tom–yes, of course I’ve heard of it. It’s been all over the news. And the Republican candidates have wasted no time in pouncing on it.

I realize that you think most of the media is in the bag for Obama, but that’s just not the case.Report

• Avatar Michelle says:

I don’t know how serious it is, given that what Obama said is basically true. Given the hyper-charged election year politics, it’ s not likely he’s going to be able to get any kind of treaty through Congress now. If he does get re-elected (and he seems to assume he will), then he’s likely to have more flexibility to negotiate.

And yeah, unless he plans to run for some other office after the presidency, this is his last election. Last I checked, the Constitution limits presidents to two terms.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

OMG last election!!!! Do you mean O won’t stand for other elections after this one. Why every other ex-president has continued to run for all sorts of offices. Or actually ex-presidents don’t do that so no matter what the outcome of this election this will be O’s last one.

Of course there won’t be an election for Marxist Dictator, so that doesn’t count.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP says:

John Quincy Adams went back to the Congress after the presidency.

Taft went on to the Supreme Court.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

Oh yeah i know that BP. Those are not all that recent though. In the last couple centuries,s after being a Prez, they retire to golf or do charity work or write memoirs. Just making fun of TVD’s silliness and apparent lack of knowledge of that.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP says:

Foxengard, where mighty concern trolls are bred.

We are the servants of Murdoch the Wise, the Red, White and Blue Hand: the Hand that gives us man’s-flesh to eatReport

• Avatar Kolohe says:

You know, though, it wouldn’t kill George Bush jr to actually do an honest day’s work for once in his life.Report

• Avatar Andy says:

I thought this kind of story was the domain of Wikileaks? Does this mean that members of all the media who reported it will be going to jail? I should certainly think so if we value consistency in our definitions of crimes.Report

4. Avatar Michelle says:

It’s gotten to the point where I can barely watch television “news” anymore because it’s almost all about the personalities and less and less about the actual events that make up the news. Analysis seems largely limited to presenting stereotypical “liberal” and “conservative” viewpoints from selected-and-approved pundits without any recognition that events might be more nuanced than the typical left-right dialogue. When I can pretty much repeat what the pundits have to say before they say it, I lose interest.

This whole making news of nonsense (last week’s etch-a-sketch fiasco comes to mind but there have been so very many others) to fill a 24-7-365 schedule is also disheartening. We’re drowning in infotainment.

5. Avatar BSK says:

I wonder how many people here know who JWoww is…Report

6. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

I’m not a fan of Santorum, but in his defense, if that transcript is accurate, it was indeed bullshit.Report

7. Avatar Will H. says:

Headline from Yahoo! news:
    Authorities Question Strass-Kahn in Prostitution Probe

First of all, using the word “probe” right next to “prostitution” can easily give the wrong impression.
    Secondly, this makes it look as if the authorities are willing to learn from the master.

Aaah, headlines…Report

8. I think we can all agree that real journalists are doing valuable work, raising questions of national importance like this one.

9. Avatar Andy says:

“Bullshit” is a naughty word? I thought it was just a concise term for “made up self-serving story”.I have little use for Santorum, but I wouldn’t hold it against him or anyone else to use that word in public.

A Princeton professor recently wrote an article (published in a reputable journal) trying to tease out more exactly the definition of bullshit, and came up with the conclusion that bullshit is worse than a lie, because by telling a lie, someone is acknowledging that s/he knows the difference between truth and non-truth. By lying, someone is implying that truth matters enough to obscure it.. Whereas bullshit is borne of a total disregard for whether a truth or fact of the matter even exists or is relevant.Report

10. Avatar Andy says:

Link to that article. No serious student of BS would want to miss this: