Man’s Best Friend

Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer is a former writer and contributor at Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar David Ryan

In high school and college I had a lab I hunted with. Mostly grouse, mountain quail and pheasant. I love her and I loved hunting with her, and I think she felt the same way.I still miss her.Report

2. Avatar Mary

You make me want a dog. That is no easy task.Report

3. Avatar BlaiseP

Bosco the GreatReport

4. Avatar North

Completely apt. I utterly melt every time I observe a seeing eye dog; they strike me as four legged personifications of all that is good and pure in the world. And, of course, the magnificent Labrador is an angel even by dog standards. The only thing I don’t envy in your dog, Mike, is when that time comes.Report

5. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

6. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Murphy in the off-season.

7. Avatar Erik Kain

Mike – friendly reminder re: formatting images. Please follow the steps outlined here. Remember, don’t insert the image. Use the uploaded image’s link in the Post Image box. The final product will be framed and aligned left (automatically.)Report

8. Avatar Will H.

One of the things that Gurdjieff wrote that stuck with me was:
    One must first learn to love animals. Then one may begin to learn to love people.

There’s no guarantee of being able to love people afterward, but the love of animals is given as a precondition.Report

9. Avatar Michael Cain

Grandpa Cain: “Try to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.”  That’s probably the most important thing he offered, although (holding up his left hand), “This is not a clamp.  And if you insist on using it as one, then <insert name of sharp hand tool> will do its best to remove a finger or three,” saved pain of a different type.Report

10. Avatar Michelle

Beautiful piece, Mike.

I was never a dog person until I gave into my husband’s and stepson’s demands and we got a pug (part pig + part dog = pug). Fiona’s almost 11 now and I’ve somehow evolved into her primary caretaker and favorite human. Dog love is a very different thing than cat love. Cats clearly understand that the world rotates around them and give their affection based on that premise. A dog sees that the world rotates around you and loves you unconditionally.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m still more of a cat person than a dog person, but we’ll surely get another dog after Fiona goes. It would be hard to live without one.Report

11. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

Duffy has a new friend, maybe.  Maxi is checking out out to see if we’re a good family with which to hang around.