Poll!

Patrick

Patrick is a mid-40 year old geek with an undergraduate degree in mathematics and a master's degree in Information Systems. Nothing he says here has anything to do with the official position of his employer or any other institution.

1. Avatar Russell Saunders

Here at Chez Saunders, we are big fans of the classic martini.  However, when I’m mixing a drink for just me, it’s always a negroni.

And congrats on getting through that midterm.Report

• Avatar Patrick Cahalan in reply to Russell Saunders

Pascal’s Wager was one of the questions.

The whole thing was quite enjoyable.  I find that I’m a much bigger fan of post-undergraduate education than I am of my college education, for entirely internal reasons.  It’s also requiring me to dust off a whole section of my brain that has been re-tasked and un-re-tasking it, which has been educational in and of itself.

I highly recommend going back to school when you’re in your late 30s/early 40s, if you have the means.

I probably would feel differently about this if I had gone from high school, to college, to graduate school (and definitely if you added med school in there, I’m thinkin’).Report

2. Avatar Burt Likko

The house cocktail at Chez Likko is the Aviation. Ingredients are a bit exotic, though; you can get them at BevMo but if they’re not on hand you’ve got to do something else.

For something like this, I’d go with a G&T. Tanqueray or better.Report

3. Avatar Dan Miller

Can’t go wrong with a gin rickey, the unofficial cocktail of Washington DC.Report

4. Avatar Tod Kelly

Congrats.  And I think you have to go with the classic: martini, up.Report

5. Avatar James Hanley

Go with a Dude.

Out of curiosity, how heavily mathematical is the game theory course?  When I get into the game theory section of my political behavior course I have to focus on the conceptual aspects and go light on the math…damn political science students hate math.  (To be fair, I’m no math wiz myself.)Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

A grasshopper. Blended.Report

7. Avatar BradK

The “Vesper” martini is quite good, stirred and never shaken:

• 2 measures Gin (I’m rather fond of Bombay Sapphire)
    • 1 measure Vodka (something smooth like Grey Goose, Belvedere, or Hangar One)
    • 1/2 measure Lillet Blanc

Garnish with twist of lemon.  Enjoy several.

And I agree completely about latter in life education.  Knowledge, like youth, is wasted on the young.  It means so much more when you can place some new found knowledge into a context that only comes from having some miles on you.  Also, learning for the fun of it is much more fulfilling than just for chasing a piece of paper.

• Avatar Alan Scott in reply to BradK

Anyone else have opinions on the Vesper?

The first one I had tasted too much like gin.

So the next time, I requested one with mostly Voka, but that tasted like nothing.

I feel like there’s a good drink in there somewhere, but I haven’t quite found it.  And none of my regular drinking establisments stock Lillet, so it’s hard to expirement.Report

8. Avatar Chris

If your goal is to feel it, may I recommend this:

Here’s the thing about purple margaritas: if you drink one, you will feel very nice. If you drink two, you will feel like the room’s spinning uncontrollably. If you drink three, you won’t feel anything at all. Baby A’s will only sell you two.Report

9. Avatar Erik Kain

I will add my voice to the chorus of martini drinkers. But with vodka, not gin.Report

10. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

Boyd & Blair vodka is one of the best regional products of the mid-Atlantic — in any category.  And it does appear that you can buy it in California.

(Resists strongly the urge to say, “My favorite vodka is pretty obscure, you’ve probably never heard of it.”)Report

11. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

Also I’m trying to wrap my head around that picture:  an olive and a twist?

12. Avatar BSK

Bacon bourbon. Two ice cubes.Report

13. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

Medium dry gin martini (dirty) wins.  Kitty cast the deciding vote.Report

14. Avatar Plinko

I missed the cutoff, but the house drink here is a bourbon Old-Fashioned, sweet.Report

15. Avatar Ryan Bonneville

I also missed the cutoff, but my default at home is a sazerac or an old fashioned.

Martinis are fine enough, I guess, but almost everyone neglects the vermouth to the point that they’re just drinking cold gin or vodka in a glass. Vermouth neglect is a serious problem; we need to get John Walsh on it.Report

16. Avatar Christopher Carr

I missed it too. Perhaps I can recommend the second (or eighth) drink? I’m presently drinking a beer – a Mayflower Porter to be exact. The darker and bitterer the better, culminating in the liquid perfection that is Guinness, but only if you have a tap in your house. Otherwise, red wine is always nice after stretching your brain (Cabs only – no Merlot). I’m not a huge cocktail guy, but Hendricks gin and tonic is lovely, and it’s hard to resist a nice dry Mojito. Or a good Scotch for that matter.Report