A Little Bit of Light-Hearted Nerdery, and a Question

Ryan Noonan

Ryan Noonan is an economist with a small federal agency. Fields in which he considers himself reasonably well-informed: literature, college athletics, video games, food and beverage, the Supreme Court. Fields in which he considers himself an expert: none. He can be found on the Twitter or reached by email.

1. Avatar Burt Likko

If you wanted to guest-post these sorts of things at NAPP, you’d be welcome to. A lot of what you’re talking about is also good fodder for Mindless Diversions.Report

2. Avatar Tod Kelly

‘Sorry, folks. I got a little burned out from all the talk about lady-parts”

Um, dude…  You’re about to get married.  I’ve got some potentially bad news.Report

3. Avatar Erik Kain

Post them to the front page. They’re perfectly fine.Report

4. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

You’re welcome to shunt anything over to Mindless Diversions that you feel belongs there.Report

5. Avatar Ian M.

Abercrombie was/is a film editor and his action scenes I think benefit from this background. The Heroes is pretty good, and has his trademark humor, not quite as good as The First Law trilogy, but tighter than Best Served Cold which drags in parts. But all of his books are better than most other fantasy.

I will also plug Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Lynch’s personal life seems to have turned into a country-western song, which has limited his writing, but the two books he has out are outstanding.Report

• Avatar Ryan Bonneville in reply to Ian M.

I read the first one, which I guess is The Lies of Locke Lamora. I found it pretty entertaining, although I much preferred the crazy Ocean’s Eleven-style hijinx to the more “gritty realist” elements. It’s getting increasingly difficult for authors to do the “And now I will torture my main character!” plot without instantly turning me off.Report

6. Avatar North

I endorse the Machete order for Star Wars viewing but suspect I’ll never have cause to use it since everyone already knows everything about Star Wars.Report

7. Avatar Steve S.

Star Wars:  Watch original edits in release order, except stop after Episode VI.

Since we’re on the subject of The Godfather, watch that in release order as well, the whole thing.  Don’t watch any bonus footage or listen to any Coppola commentary until after you’ve done the original edits in release order.

Do these things and you will be happy.Report

8. Avatar Kyle Cupp

Personally, I dig these stringed together ideas posts.Report

9. Avatar Ian M.

What’s a lady part?Report

10. Avatar Plinko

Umm. . .more like this would be awesome wherever you manage to put them, Ryan.Report