More Help Wanted

David Ryan

David Ryan is a boat builder and USCG licensed master captain. He is the owner of Sailing Montauk and skipper of Montauk''s charter sailing catamaran MON TIKI You can follow him on Twitter @CaptDavidRyan

1. Avatar Will Truman says:

As I am in search for a new career, the words “Help Wanted” automatically pique my interest. Alas, I don’t think I am a good fit for this one.

2. Avatar James Hanley says:

Man, if this was summer I would so be there.  I’d work cheap since I actually have a decent paying career and all I’d need is a place to set up my tent.  But I suppose you have in mind actually having this thing done by summer, so you can take advantage of the nice weather to sail it.Report

• Avatar Kolohe says:

Yeah, I’m pretty much in the same, um, boat.  I have kind of a contract with my current employer to stay on for about another year and a half, then I get a pretty decent payoff.Report

3. Avatar Jason Kuznicki says:

I have no intention of quitting my job, but a road trip might be fun.Report

• Avatar David Ryan says:

We are weighing our options for turning the hulls, and one very serious option is a hull turning party. A dozen people should be more than enough. You and your husband should come!Report

4. Avatar James Hanley says:

David,

I’ve checked out your website.  It makes it sound as if you’re currently running trips–have you been doing so, or is that all just prepped for starting up next summer?

And what’s the LoOG discount? 😉Report

• Avatar David Ryan says:

We are not currently running trips. Curious, were you looking at the Mon Tiki website or the Sailing Montauk website.

RE: Cost

One of the problems with running a six-pack is that the very limit supply of seating works against doing any sort of load management pricing. Theoretically the marginal cost of a seat is zero, but it doesn’t actually work that way.

Mon Tiki should rate somewhere between 20-30 passengers, which means we can afford to be very generous when we have friends come to town.Report

5. Avatar Rufus F. says: