The Hunters of Kentucky

Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer is a former writer and contributor at Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar James Hanley

As a Hoosier, I’m always reminded of the classic line from the Simpsons, when George Washington visits Lisa in a dream.

We had quitters in the Revolutionary War, too.  We called them Kentuckians!

Heh, heh.  Seriously, though, glad you got you some rabbits.

2. Avatar Leah

I did not realize that this was not an original song in Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson

3. Avatar Robert Cheeks

With kith and kin among those green rolling hills, with Wendell farming down on the Kentuck River, with a history of fighting not only the Shawnee and Cherokee but the damn Yankees as well. What’s not to like about that great state and her people?Report

4. Avatar mac

I used to hunt quail and grouse and the occasional woodcock in Northern Virginia in the late 70’s and early 80’s with German Shorthaired Pointers. Dove hunting was also a frustrating favorite. 4 to 5 birds per box of shells was the average. I’m told that’s pretty good for dove. The ground birds are gone and nobody knows why. I haven’t seen a covey of quail in 15 years and the canned hunts just don’t appeal to me. The speculation is no-till planting; feral cats; Ice stormsReport

• Avatar Mike Dwyer in reply to mac

Mac – I don’t know how they do it in Virginia but here in KY if it takes more than 2 boxes for a limit of 15 birds you get razzed for the rest of the day. I know a few guys that can shoot 1-box limits.

As for quail – we still have birds around here but it’s extremely hard to keep them in healthy numbers. The biggest problem is loss of habiitat. Managing property for quails requires a lot of work and it doesn’t jive well with agriculture.Report

5. Avatar mac

I should have tried harder…   or maybe Va. Birds fly faster. I sure do miss it/them.Report