The Amish, Imagery, and 9/11

Mark of New Jersey

Mark is a Founding Editor of The League of Ordinary Gentlemen, the predecessor of Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar Kim

I learned of the attack with an ominous sense of unease. My lab partner wasn’t in class. I would later learn that all other classes had been canceled that day (and had my teacher read his e-mail, it would undoubtedly have been canceled too).

I would also later learn that my lab partner had stolen a ride on top of the last train heading into downtown (and nearly gotten shot by a cop getting off. cops tend to not like people parachuting directly beside them, under the best of circumstances).

I learned of it, and mostly shrugged. Another attack, more people dead. Life goes on. I open my mental book, and check my list — do I know anyone? No, I don’t think so. Life goes on.

My relatives took it rather well, considering they were under quarantine for the day. That was the one day I could see them, and it was cancelled. But life goes on.Report

2. Avatar Tod Kelly

A little dust in here, it seems.Report

3. Avatar James Hanley

A couple of years after 9/11 I spend a few weeks in the summer at Georgetown U.  I remember sitting on the balcony of my dorm, right beside the Potomac, and realizing that the Potomac itself was the flight path for the Washington National Airport, and being astounded at just how low the planes were as they passed by GU.  And I wondered if, after National re-opened, the folks at GU lived in a state of perpetual PTSD as low-flying jets zoomed past them.Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to James Hanley

From my perspective on the other bank of the river, my nerves definitely would get frayed whenever a plane sounded like it was coming in a bit closer than usual.  Planes that sounded a little less loud were never a big problem for me, though; in fact, when National first reopened, those more normal sounding flights were almost a relief to hear because they symbolized a modest return to normalcy.Report

4. Avatar North

Great stuff Mark.Report

5. Avatar Michael Drew

Not sure, but I thought Blaise lives in Illinois.Report

6. Avatar Will Truman

My 9/11 story was a plot turn in a romantic tragedy.

Then again, almost everything in 2001 was…Report

7. Avatar Teacher

I still remember the principal of our building extolling us to continue business as usual as we watched the smoke come out of the towers on the TV in our classroom.  And then insist we keep school running for the sake of normalcy when not one student was willing to do any kind of math work once they knew of the full extent of the attacks.

I respect the need to make school feel like a bedrock but I will never understand such a blindered response when dealing with teenagers….Report