Hey Tod

Ryan Noonan

Ryan Noonan is an economist with a small federal agency. Fields in which he considers himself reasonably well-informed: literature, college athletics, video games, food and beverage, the Supreme Court. Fields in which he considers himself an expert: none. He can be found on the Twitter or reached by email.

1. Avatar Kim

Me? I like ouzo. (though a dark rum, or a clean vodka are pretty nice too). Haven’t ever tried bourbon…Report

2. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

Gin.  That is all.

And yes, you can have barrel-aged gin if you insist.Report

3. Avatar North

Yay Tim!!! Maître de of one of the very few virtuous reality TV shows.Report

4. Avatar Mark Thompson

Pappy. The be all and end all.  Well-played, sir.  Well-played.Report

• Avatar Ryan Bonneville in reply to Mark Thompson

I was out for my birthday last month – at Bourbon in Adams Morgan, if any of you are DCers and looking to share a drink sometime – and I attempted to order a couple different Willetts that turned out to be empty. The bartender, either in frustration or (one hopes) recognizing a good eye, went away for a few minutes and came back with Pappy. It was only the 15 year, but it was still one of the best birthday presents a boy could ask for.Report

5. Avatar BlaiseP

Booze, like music, is sometimes an antidote, sometimes an anodyne.   There must be a measure of appropriateness to these things.

In Phoenix, an arid land, where the afternoon sunlight strikes a man’s forehead like a two by four, nothing was quite so fitting as good gin and quinine water.   Oh we went through beer like water, Fat Tire and various red ales, weissbier figured large, but beer is fundamentally Bavarian style bread, a nutriment and therefore irrelevant to this discussion.

Of late, I have taken to Kraken Rum.  But this is a frosty clime, where a man is subject to long stretches of filthy confinement behind frost-rimed windows, going out only to give the Husky Dog an excuse for all that fur, that, and to lay dog eggs in the snow.   After such an excursion, the restorative effects of Kraken spiced rum are nonpareil.Report

• Avatar Michelle in reply to BlaiseP

The way you describe it surely makes me want to try some.Report

• Avatar Meaghan in reply to BlaiseP

Love Kraken! My first taste was at a pirate fest; a great place for rum.Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to BlaiseP

only german beer is bread. ale is mere cleansed water, and a spanish beer is entirely different as well.Report

• Avatar Jason Kuznicki in reply to Kim

I see you know nothing about beer, either.

“Ale” denotes a very large subtype of yeasts and all of the many, many, many beers that are brewed with them.  Ales include everything from India pale ales to Belgian abbey ales to Scotch ales to — technically — stouts.

Most ale styles are stronger, more strongly flavored, and higher in calories than most lager styles.  There are certainly exceptions, including triple bocks and imperial Pilsners, but if any category of beer counts as “mere cleansed water,” it’s certainly not the ales.

6. Avatar James Hanley

I haven’t had the Pappy’s, but I do like Buffalo Trace.  Blanton’s is good, too.  For the budget-conscious connoisseur, Eagle Rare is very nice as well.  (And of course my old standby, Knob Creek.)Report

7. Avatar Burt Likko

I’ve an abundance of good Scotch after the holidays so I haven’t had moment to step back into the Bourbon. Maker’s is my go-to choice when I do, it has such a nice apple-pie flavor to it.Report

8. Avatar Ben

TOD I thought we had a understanding!Report