A (Mostly) Unnecessary Introduction

Mike Dwyer

Mike Dwyer is a former writer and contributor at Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar Mark Thompson

A long-overdue welcome aboard, Mike! However, I’m afraid that as an initiation rite, you are obligated to immediately jump into the fray on one of those “controversial” topics.  That’s right….barbeque.  In the alternative, I demand a post on what state does the best things with pork in general.

All of which reminds me that I need to do my own post on the cooking of meat soon.  I intend to ask the question: “Well-done Steak: A Sign of Fascism or Communism?”Report

2. Avatar Tod Kelly

Welcome, Mike!  (Although the word “welcome” seems a bit wrong in your case, eh?)

My one quibble would be that I don’t think you should post all of your outdoors stuff elsewhere.Report

• Avatar MIke Dwyer in reply to Tod Kelly

Tod – I will try to throw a few outdoor posts over here from time to time. Although at the moment hunting season has been so slow that I have little to write about. If our Canadian friends could send down a cold front it would be much appreciated.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to MIke Dwyer

Mike – Great!  As I get to know people here, I find that I enjoy their writings about their personal passions as much or more than the political stuff.

Canadian friends – Please don’t.Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Tod Kelly

Ditto to this.  I’d take it one step further, even: writings about personal passions make the political stuff a lot easier to discuss.Report

• Avatar J.L. Wall in reply to Tod Kelly

As a self-exiled Kentuckian who’d get hit by the brunt of that cold front, I second Tod on this one…

Besides, wasn’t it snowing (or at least threatening to snow) in Louisville over the last few days?

(Meanwhile, no one is noticing the slow but certain Bluegrass takeover of the League…  All goes according to plan, and if only I, too, had a devious mustache to twirl…)Report

• Avatar Mike Dwyer in reply to J.L. Wall

JL – We got about 30 minutes of snow yesterday. We need at least 4-5 days of sustained cold up north to push those birds down here. Since you’re west of the Mississippi you would be out of the path for that Canadian cold front I’m looking for.

First a trickle and then a flood. I’m envisioning the interwebs as a 21st century Cumberland Gap.

• Avatar Anne in reply to J.L. Wall

I lived in Louisville for 3 years and my identical twin has lived there since 1986 can I be part of the Bluegrass takeover?Report

3. Avatar kenB

Awesome, looking forward to your contributions.

Two teenage daughters and still a happy home??  What sorts of powerful drugs are you secretly giving them (or yourselves)?Report

4. Avatar Jaybird

Additionally: You’re in charge of this weekend’s Jukebox and Open Thread.Report

5. Avatar Kyle Cupp

Welcome Mike! Great to see you writing for the League!Report

6. Avatar North

Holly Hannah! Welcome aboard Mike!!Report

7. Avatar E.D. Kain

Sorry it took so long to get you up and running Mike. Welcome.Report

8. Avatar James K

Welcome to the League Mike.  Looking forward to the education posts in particular.Report

9. Avatar JG New

Congratulations upon your newly exalted status – I’ve enjoyed your commentary and look forward to your more substantial contributionsReport

10. Avatar Christopher Carr

Mike, welcome. I’m looking forward to your posts. Please don’t hesitate to write about your hobbies. That hunting guest post a while back gets my vote for inclusion in the Ordinary Gents anthology. Now, to distastefully make light of heavy topics:

abortion – It’s not quite the same as taking out the trash.

gay marriage – Why the fuck not?

what state has the best barbecue – North Carolina. That “barbecue sauce” is clear should be clear.Report

11. Avatar Murali

Welcome Mike! Hmm,this blog does seem to be tilting rightwards… First TVD then Mike and EDK and RyanB et al (i.e. our resident liberals) are registered republicans? Twilight zone…Report

12. Avatar Patrick Cahalan

Geeze, I’m away for a few days and Mike gets front page and gives me even some passing credit for it?

Clearly I should take longer vacations from the computer.  Good Things Happen when I’m only slightly around.

Looking forward to catching up on your posts, Mike D.Report

13. Avatar Will H.

Barbecue is heresy.
    A good cut of meat could only suffer from being slathered in such a heavily-flavored sauce.

I just felt a need to take a contrarian view on your first post here, Mike.
    I’m sure you’ll understand.

Welcome to the League!Report