If I were a carpenter.

David Ryan

David Ryan is a boat builder and USCG licensed master captain. He is the owner of Sailing Montauk and skipper of Montauk''s charter sailing catamaran MON TIKI You can follow him on Twitter @CaptDavidRyan

1. Avatar Christopher Carr

Amateur diagnoses with special psychological conditions that address our personal shortcomings by turning them into unique abilities seem to fill this gap.Report

2. Avatar Burt Likko

Annie: I think probably with my love of four-legged creatures and hooves and everything, that in another lifetime I was probably Catherine the Great, or maybe Francis of Assisi. I’m not sure which one. What do you think, darlin’?

Crash: How come in former lifetimes, everybody is someone famous? [Laughs.] I mean… [both laugh] … How come nobody ever says they were Joe Schmo?

Annie: [still laughing] Because it doesn’t work that way, you fool!Report

• Avatar Patrick Cahalan in reply to Burt Likko

“And frankly, sports fans, he used a certain word that’s a ‘no-no’ with umpires.”Report

• Avatar James K in reply to Burt Likko

Actually thing that really bothered me about past life regression was that given the world’s population is at an all-time high, a significant number of people (perhaps a majority) would be first-timers with no past life at all. In fact I think the number of people today is greater than the number that have died in the past 5000 years or so; which means that the average person should have only 1 past life within human history.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to James K

You’re overthinking it. Souls are getting diffuse. This is why the people in the past are such giants and everyone you know is, like, “Just Wally” (or whomever). Cleopatra had a whole soul to herself. We all have 1/128th of a soul or something like that.

Those of us who aren’t recycled animals, anyway.Report

3. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

Coates is entirely right. Perhaps what we need is a good, solid, invigorating war to toughen us up?

On another paranormal topic, I’m waiting for the alien invasion.  I judge it to be more probable now than ever, because now we’ve mostly learned to groom ourselves.  We make better pets that way.

4. Avatar Plinko

And here I was hoping someone would be hammering on their piglet.Report

5. Avatar Rev. Lynn DeLellis

I am a past life regressionist and have never had a client who experienced being famous or infamous in a past life.Report