The Music of the Trolls

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar wardsmith

the artist’s ???

One mans trash is another’s treasure I suppose.Report

2. Avatar Burt Likko

I see a strong influence of Allen Ginsburg in Ender’s piece; its raw emotion building to a crescendo is so reminiscent of Howl it gives me the shivers.

And do I detect an homage to e.e. cummings offered by Samara?

There’s some talented, well-read folks out there.Report

3. Avatar Russell Saunders

May I compliment you on the amazingly apt art you chose to introduce this post?Report

4. Avatar greginak

Don’t feed the trolls.Report

5. Avatar Trolly McTrollicus, The 2nd

Intriguing indeed that  you chose to take “trolls”, mangle their words, rather than address the points they made. I’m reminded of when your fellows chose to artificially rewrite the posts of others and in a few cases simply posted fake posts under the same name in order to tar and feather someone.

You’re more intellectually dishonest than anyone had heretofore believed. Have fun beating up on strawmen, since you aren’t capable of engaging in honest conversation.Report

• Avatar Patrick Cahalan in reply to Trolly McTrollicus, The 2nd

That incident that happened that one time and then everybody jumped all over that one of our fellows (even though, in that particular case, it was hardly “tarring and feathering” someone since there wasn’t, yanno, an actual real name attached to the comment in question)?

You got us, dude.  We’re a bunch of hypocrites.

Odd that you spend enough time hanging around here, when there are so many other islands of intelligent discourse on the Internet.Report

• Avatar kenB in reply to Trolly McTrollicus, The 2nd

That’s a nice effort, but it doesn’t quite reach the lyrical heights of Tod’s selections, IMHO.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to kenB

Ah, he’s probably talking about me. Late one night, I was up drinking, and I got a bit depressed by some particularly stupid, braying comments from one commenter that were basically like the first poem up there, but with lots more vulgarity and “retard”-bashing- incidentally, I’m assuming that all of our left-leaning trolls are the same person; or the left suddenly has developed a serious hatred towards the developmentally disabled. Since I lack that hatred of the mentally challenged myself-and actually towards African Americans as well since this particular troll was especially fond of the words “nigger” and “retard”- this comment in particular annoyed me and, instead of just deleting it, I replaced the words like nigger, retard, fucking assholes and so forth with terms from Dr. Seuss books. It made the original comment- actually I think it was two of them- a lot more pleasant and no less logical, but we all agreed after a long thread that it was wrong of me to change the comments without notifying anyone that I had done so. Inevitably, of course, it also revealed to the entire Internet that we’re fascists who censor the shocking truth about Republicans being retards because we’re intellectual cowards. So, sorry for that. Cat’s out of the bag, unfortunately. Report

• I may be a mere sub-blogger hereabouts, but if I may presume to speak on behalf of the League writ large as an occasional main page contributor, I will happily go through the “points” made in the original comments poetically modified above:

1) Not all Republicans are retarded.  Or old.

2)  Dunno the specifics of Dave’s beef, and thus it is difficult to address his “point.”  The best I can come up with is to shrug apologetically and say that sometimes shitty comments get deleted.  It’s a hard-knock life here on teh Internets.

3)  I am delighted to know that drexl515 is thinking of the children.  Finally, finally someone is.

4)  I will pay cash money to anyone who can suss out a point in Ender’s comment.

5)  While no fan of the Tea Party movement, I am not aware of efforts to “expluse” anyone.  Nor of the existence of the word “expulse.”

6)  See above re: the occasional deletion of shitty comments.  Presumably the deletion of the comments in question was due to their inherent shittiness, and not because of a pro-fascism bias here at the League,  With the possible exception of Kuznicki, whose frequent posts in support of untrammeled government power are a cause of  concern, I think we’re all safely “non-fascist” as a rule.

I await your cogent rebuttal.Report

6. Avatar Mark Thompson

Also, I must say that this is pure win.Report

7. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

I wanna hear the dubstep version.Report

8. Avatar Liberty60

I think they need the full Shatner treatment.Report