Scaling Perfection : On the Music of Kenny G

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Tom Van Dyke says:

What’s the difference between Kenny G and an Uzi?

—an Uzi only repeats itself 600 times per minuteReport

2. Avatar Jonathan says:

Well played, Kelly.

(Damn, I really didn’t meant to pun.)Report

3. Avatar James Hanley says:

Great closing line.  I think you won the internets for the week.Report

4. Avatar Max L says:

supergreat!  Have  you ever heard of Aristotle?  Plato?  Socrates? …MORONS!Report

5. Avatar dhex says:

this post contains such savage and ironic ferocity that it makes merzbow look like a backrub.Report

6. Personally, I celebrate his entire catalog.Report

7. Avatar DensityDuck says:

Kenny G sounds like Jim Davis (or Thomas Kinkade) with a saxophone.  He pisses everyone off because he’s just so straight-up “yeah, I’m playing to the market, I’m doing this for the money.”  It’s not like people don’t do just-for-the-money jobber work; we’re just all supposed to pretend like that’s not where our career’s ended up.  It seems like a waste of trust, almost; like everyone in his life was all “I’m preparing you to be a pure artist” and he looked at all that and said “no thanks, I’ll just take the money”.  Like someone who takes a fifteen-year culinary education in France and uses it to make prepackaged snack cakes for Wal-Mart.

8. Avatar Renee says:

One word:  Transplendant!!Report

9. Avatar Sam M says:

“Randians and other free market worshipers that frequent the League will immediately recognize this as a sign that he is a far superior.”

Wasn’t Roark the less popular architect?Report

10. Avatar Wen GJ says:

I concur with the post.  It is KG’s rejection of the avant-garde, his wilingness to explore the same thematic tropes repeatedly and unironically, his rythmic and melodic, dare I say it?, conservatism, that makes him America’s permier artiste; the one that truly represents our unique and exceptional weltanschauung.

It’s why you always hear his music played in Wal-martReport

11. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I don’t know whether I found the casual acknowledgement of a Kenny G “oeuvre” funnier than “… hard core fury, bringing a rough edge that one might associate more with heavy metal than smooth jazz…”

Brilliant.Report

12. Avatar mark boggs says:

This was splendid.  And it made me very uncomfortable to even think someone could write such glowing things about Kenny G.  Even in jest.Report

13. Avatar Mike says: