A Poem for Sunday, and Open Thread

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Jaybird

Holy cow, the Donkeys beat the Chargers!Report

2. Avatar Jung's Collective Unconscious

Tod, if I’m not mistaken, you are an atheist, no?   How could one every read a poem with that title, seriously, when the poet is an atheist?  It’s filled with an ax to grind as well. As a Kelly, you must have had the whole Catholic experience–understandably, that can create lots and lots of axes.Report

3. Avatar Jung's Collective Unconscious

Tod, if I’m not mistaken, you are an atheist, no?   How could one every read a poem with that title, seriously, when the poet is an atheist?  It’s filled with an axe to grind as well. As a Kelly, you must have had the whole Catholic experience–understandably, that can create lots and lots of axes.Report

4. Avatar Tom Van Dyke

Kelly, you continue to stun.Report

5. Avatar Warren Dexter

Theistically? Really? That is quite a take on a stream-of-consciousness wordplay. But just to engage you would require unearthing many demons of past religious scars best left buried. I would just like to add that it is a nice bit of prose to my eye and it stirs a rather nice morningly sentiment.
    Your strange effort at defacing the work is puzzling, but expectable from boredom and ignorance, or some humor perhaps.Report

6. Avatar Warren Dexter

Perhaps it did touch a nerve that I should disclose…
    I wrote a song about my three children and in it I used the line
    “I see my sweet Jesus, and he’s walking down the street… ” intending that the line would refer to the very best part of my own fatherly spirit.

I cried a little when I wrote it. Which is usually a sign of good work in my writing; if you ask me. So, the line stayed. I knew I would take some grief from those who would stereotype the effort but ten years later, it still gets me.
    It is a little spooky to say or write certain words without fear of retribution.
    Words like, “dumbass” and how could you write such a truly heartless comment? I hope there is a powerful God and that he makes you soften your tone before I have to get mideval on your hiney. Please accept my hug and the hope that you can bury your own demons before posting any more drivel.Report

7. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

I do not understand this thread.Report

8. Avatar Warren Dexter

Go Tod, great read today on invisible Christmas War. I suggest a series on the subject. My theory is that there is a war. It is just fought in electronic trenches with opinions raining down from everywhere and not a drop to drink.
    My kids asked me about Santa and I still believe that it is Santa that fills the stockings. Why else would we even hang them?
    The millstone of fact and causal links that combines to make a religious celebration is not important, yet celebration IS.
    I was also glad to find out what the Guiness Thingy is.
    It was always my suspicion that it was a listening device of some sort or an explosive that they could detonate remotely if the beer fell into the hands of a budweiser drinker.Report