Thy Gingrich Come — and why Romney should go-for-broke in Iowa

Elias Isquith

Elias Isquith is a freelance journalist and blogger. He considers Bob Dylan and Walter Sobchak to be the two great Jewish thinkers of our time; he thinks Kafka was half-right when he said there was hope, "but not for us"; and he can be reached through the twitter via @eliasisquith or via email. The opinions he expresses on the blog and throughout the interwebs are exclusively his own.

1. Avatar joey jo jo shabadoo jr.

the loudest cheer for newtmentum comes from tiffany’s.  second loudest from aquanet.  only aquanet could create callista’s helmet.Report

2. Avatar Tod Kelly

“or perhaps eventually even Santorum”

Elias – really?Report

3. Avatar Kevin Carson

Jesus Christ, Gingrich looks more like Sibyl’s mother with every passing year.

As for Santorum, I keep hoping for a spectacularly bad debate performance just so I can say “Hey, he really screwed the pooch, didn’t he?”Report

4. Avatar Michelle

I guess that Huntsman surge I was hoping for is never going to happen.

Newt is this year’s Guiliani–the thrice married ego-maniacal douche bag with a massive savior complex. The only difference is Newt lacks the 9-11 cache.Report

5. Avatar Rufus F.

At this point, is it even remotely possible that the time it takes to elect a President could be shortened in the United States? In Canada, they can get this done, including the campaign ads and the whole enchilada, in a month. In the US, I’ve actually heard people talk about how pumped they are for the election 18 months in advance. If it took American Idol this long to make a selection, people would stop watching.Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to Rufus F.

Everything moves in the other direction. To be honest, I like a longer election season than in other countries. I like staggered primaries and such, more time for skeletons to come out of closets, and so on. But I can certainly agree that it’s gone a few steps too far. Especially with actual primaries taking place just after the new year. I don’t know how we fix that, though.Report