The Antipodean Political Style

James K

James is a government policy analyst, and lives in Wellington, New Zealand. His interests including wargaming, computer gaming (especially RPGs and strategy games), Dungeons & Dragons and scepticism. No part of any of his posts or comments should be construed as the position of any part of the New Zealand government, or indeed any agency he may be associated with.

1. Avatar Tod Kelly

Wow. I can think of all the reasons that it would be foolish for the US President to do such a thing, and how for the President of New Zealand not as much. But I still think this is great.

It reminds me about the story of Nixon going out late one night and talking with the anti-war protesters at the Lincoln Memorial. I have always liked him just a little bit after hearing that story.Report

2. Avatar Alex Knapp

“Can you see this happening in the US?”

Well, no, but largely that’s because 4 U.S. Presidents have been assassinated, 2 have been shot but didn’t die, 3 had shots fired near enough to them that death was a possibility, and 2 escaped death because the shooter was close enough to kill, but the gun malfunctioned.Report

• Avatar James K in reply to Alex Knapp

It’s true that the US President has to take precautions that New Zealand’s Prime Minister does not. But I can’t see a US President joking around with people he doesn’t personally know either, except in a scripted way. I mean the US President has his own theme music and people stand when he enters the room. That’s a totally different thing to safety precautions.Report

3. Avatar Christopher Carr

James, I studied abroad at the University of Otago. I really miss this close-knit, communal aspect of New Zealand (maybe it was the South Island more than anything?). I’m still trying to decide whether I want to eventually settle down in Steamboat Springs or Kaikoura.Report

4. Avatar Kimmi

Yup. But in America, it would be that bloke from Italy buying babes. Nobody important goes to NZ anyway (*wink* this is a joke, please people from NZ, don’t kill me…)Report

5. Avatar Aaron

Also, one should note, I can completely see the governor of a state doing this. You can’t compare the US as a whole (300+ million people) with New Zealand (4.3 million). The state of Ohio has 11 million people in it. It’s just a totally spurious analogy.Report

6. Avatar DensityDuck

I could *maybe* see a US politician doing this.

I could *definitely* see someone in the crowd acting like an ass, filming the guy’s response, and putting it on YouTube as “POLITICAN FREAKS OUT AT INNOCENT QUESTION”Report

• Avatar Jesse Ewiak in reply to DensityDuck

I’d point out that foreign politicians likely would freak out less than US politicians largely ’cause they aren’t quite as pre-programmed as modern US politicians.Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Jesse Ewiak

Which is why we need to encourage more of this in the U.S.

The questions about safety for a U.S. President are valid, but it’s trivially easy to screen people for security purposes and still have unscripted sessions, and not just with people who are your supporters.

More of that would probably be good for our political culture, too. Ideologues screaming at a politician would get old pretty quickly if the pols learned not to react to it, and it could lead to more temperate conversations.Report

• Avatar DensityDuck in reply to James Hanley

AUDIENCE BOOS GAY VETERAN; CANDIDATE REFUSES TO ADDRESS ISSUE.Report

• Avatar DensityDuck in reply to DensityDuck

er, was a response to “Ideologues screaming at a politician would get old pretty quickly if the pols learned not to react to it”.Report

• Avatar Jesse Ewiak in reply to DensityDuck

Actually, that’s part of my point. A truly good politician like Reagan or Clinton would think on his feet and say something like, “even if you don’t support this man’s sexuality, you can still support the fact he has served his country blah blah blah.”

These days, the problem is not many politicians can get past their pre-programmed talking points and actually react.Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Jesse Ewiak

DD,

Well, I could be engaging in wishful thinking, to be sure. But rather than cop to that yet, I would say A) I think it would take some time to develop, so a particular case right now doesn’t mean much, and B) there will always be some such cases, and all I can hope for is a sharp reduction in frequency, away from being the norm toward being not unknown but relatively uncommon and unrespected.

Or, if your point was “here’s a guy who didn’t react to it, he just let it go, and that sure as hell didn’t promote good crowd behavior,” perhaps my “learn not to react to it” wasn’t a felicitous choice of words. Perhaps, “learn to react to it as we would hope a mature and well-educated person would” would be nearer the goal.Report

7. Avatar Eric Crampton

@Creon: When Prince William visited a few months back, there were all kinds of random visits. He had some visit at a park near a friend’s house; the friend’s three year old got to wander up and say hello.

Folks are perhaps right to say the more relevant US comparison would be a state Governor. But I do love the small-town feel.Report

8. Avatar Katherine

Wow. I can’t see it happening in Canada, either, although that’s less a ‘security state’ issue a more a matter of our current PM being allergic to public engagement.

More politicians should be like Mr. Key.Report