No more please

Daniel

Daniel is a journalist.

1. Avatar Chris says:

It’s not the university, but a student group that offered the $20 for the t-shirts. The university actually licensed them.Report

• Avatar Daniel says:

Important distinction.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

Err… no, the university didn’t license them. I read the story wrong. Ignore that. Also, I think the actual shirt is pretty funny (better than the silly Huck the Fuskers).Report

• Avatar Daniel says:

Really? I kinda like Huck the Fuskers.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

I remember when I first saw a Huck the Fuskers t-shirt, sometime around 1992. I thought it was funny for a minute, and then thought it was kind of silly, similar to your reaction to Buck the Fuckeyes, I think.

But “West Fucking Virginia,” now that makes sense. When I was an undergrad and under 21, we occasionally drove to Huntington because the bars there were 18 and up (and as everyone knows, getting in is 99% of the battle). “West Fucking Virginia” was a common response to the question, “Where you going this weekend?”Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

In Oregon, the version is “Huck the Fuskies.” Not nearly as clever, though, as the bumper sticker reading “Support a Husky Free Northwest.”Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

There is a truck here in town that has a “I’m going NUCKING FUTS!” bumpersticker (and “nucking futs” is in a wacky font).

Stuck behind this truck at a stoplight, I am left alone to meditate on the sequence of events that led to this. The driver was, one day, walking through a store that happened to have bumperstickers. S/he saw this bumpersticker. S/he laughed. S/he said “I need to put this on my truck!” S/he purchased this bumpersticker. S/he put it on her/his truck. S/he continues to drive around town with this bumpersticker on her/his truck.

Then the light turns green and I move towards my destination.Report

• Avatar DensityDuck says:

Driving behind a guy today, “US ARMY VET” and Enduring Freedom service-ribbon bumper stickers, license place was “DIRKA2”.

uh…wow, just wow.Report

3. Avatar CubFan says:

As a (mostly) proud Cubs fan, I’ll still proudly wear my “Muck the Fets” T-Shirt (in stylin’ orange & blue lettering) every time New York visits Wrigley.Report

4. Avatar Kimmi says:

There is funny, and then there is funny.
    The Buck Ofama shirts were… profitable. 😉Report

5. Avatar Ryan Bonneville says:

West Fucking Virginia has a proud history, as Chris points out above. That one at least makes sense.

And, perhaps because I’m a Wolverine, perhaps because I’m a pedant, I have always had a soft spot for Buck the Fuckeyes. The word is still right there on the shirt! You haven’t achieved anything by switching the B and the F! I love it!Report

• Avatar Plinko says:

See now in Madison we have some folks that just wear shirts that say ‘F*ck ’em, Bucky!’, which is nice because you can wear that one every week.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Similar to OR State t-shirts that read ‘Duck a Fuck’Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

Similar to OR State t-shirts that read ‘Duck a Fuck’
        You’re giving OSU students too much credit. They thought they were doing a “Huck the Fuskers” imitation and didn’t realize their error.Report

• Avatar Alan Scott says:

That, to me, is the one thing that makes these shirts bearable. The “Muck the Fets” thing is old-it’s not funny, and it’s not the classiest representation of your fandom.

But “Buck the Fuckeyes” is meta. It’s not so much a dig at the buckeyes, it’s a joke on the very concept of the “Muck the Fets” shirt. That’s why it works.Report

6. Avatar Sam M says:

Profane. Silly. Pointless. These shirts do seem to have a place in college fandom.

What do you expect? Shirts with Susan Sontag quotes on them?Report