Friday Something Something and Open Thread

Jaybird

1. Avatar Aaron W says:

A proposal for economic stimulus:

Convert the US to the metric system.

I mean, come on, short term increase in construction, capital equipment, and education spending + long term efficiency gains from easier trade and from not having to keep two sets of ****ing wrenches (and other tools/machinery) around to deal with American versus foreign made parts. I say win-win!Report

• Avatar Jason Kuznicki says:

long term efficiency gains from easier trade

This. Cato interns are sometimes shocked when I say we’d obviously be better off if we used the metric system. Then I point out that U.S. Customary Measurement functions as a tariff.Report

• Avatar Patrick Cahalan says:

Everybody would be better off if we were on the metric system.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I’d suggest that Obama not adopt this as part of his platform until after the election.Report

• Avatar Aaron W says:

What? Just think of the wingnut response!

“Unelected bureaucrats determining what units you measure your height in”

“We’re not giving an inch on Standard units!”

“Obama implementing socialist world government through metric system!”

“Keep your hands off my yardstick!”

This stuff basically writes itselfReport

• Avatar Jason Kuznicki says:

I need to put together a post titled “Stuff Libertarians Should Like, but Don’t.”

The metric system will probably be #1 on the list.Report

• Avatar Aaron W says:

Yeah, pretty much. Adoption of the metric system could be coupled with looser immigration restrictions since it would be much easier for immigrants to integrate into American society with the same measurement system used worldwide.

Unfortunately, despite being a really good idea, I don’t think it’ll ever happen until America loses global military hegemony. Luckily we seem to be squandering our natural advantages left and right (pun intended) over the past decade, so that may happen sooner than we might expect!Report

• Avatar DensityDuck says:

I think this might be the first time I’ve ever seen anyone claim that the US military is responsible for Imperial measurements still existing.

PS there’s plenty of aerospace stuff done by US defense companies for the US government that uses the metric system.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I hear that both Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola are conspiring to sell product using the Metric System.

This is why I purchase RC.Report

• Avatar Aaron W says:

I didn’t mean it as a conspiracy theory. I meant it more as because the US is in a privileged position in the world, it can continue to avoid using the SI system compared to other countries.

It might also just be inertia, obviously.Report

• Avatar Jason Kuznicki says:

Inertia is necessary, but not sufficient. In the eighteenth century, every other country had their own traditional measurements. Each had inertia; each was abandoned. So… why not us?Report

• Avatar James K says:

I’m a libertarian and I like SI units. It doesn’t hurt that the Imperial system is fairly ridiculous.Report

• Avatar Murali says:

And what are americans doing with an Imperial system anyway. One war or another, its tellingReport

2. Avatar Scott says:

Barry’s illegal alien uncle released from jail. So much for no special treatment. He ignored a deporation order but they let him go now and people wonder why folks think the govt is broken.

3. Avatar DensityDuck says:

My wife is beautiful and I love her, and if I have any regrets it’s that I didn’t invest in Amazon and am not a millionaire and cannot shower her with jewelry tools and scrapbooking stuff and cake-decorating gear.Report

4. Avatar Ryan Bonneville says:

I just saw Yo La Tengo in concert on Tuesday this week (with Wye Oak and The National). They were considerably more excellent than I expected.Report

5. Avatar Scott says:

Nanny state strikes again. Cops ticket citizen that tries to help out during traffic light outage. Sometimes I think the gov’t really wants to kill any initiative that anyone has.