Map of the Day: The Seven Kingdoms of Westeros

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Mike Schilling

Wow. Thanks.Report

2. Avatar Ryan B

This is amazing. Two of my early favorites, as I peruse, are the Flayed Man of the Dreadfort and the fact that the Freys really do look like weasels.Report

3. Avatar Ryan B

Fun game: is it possible to figure out who everyone at the bottom is?

From left to right, I’ve got: Jaime, Arthur Dayne, someone, Gerold Hightower, Aerys II, Varys, Pycelle, someone, Oswell Whent, and someone. One looks Dornish, and I have no idea about the other two.Report

• Avatar Ryan B in reply to Ryan B

Oh, duh. Lewyn Martell.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Ryan B

How are you identifying them? (I get Jaime, from his golden hair.)

The top (obviously) is the Seven: Smith, Warrior, Father, Stranger, Mother, Maiden, Crone.Report

• Avatar Ryan B in reply to Mike Schilling

Well, Aerys, Varys, and Pycelle seem obvious. And the rest are the Kingsguard. Dayne has the greatsword, Dawn. Gerold Hightower is called “the Bull”, so that seems like him with the helm. The Whents had a bat sigil, so that’s got to be Oswell From the Kingsguard. And the Dornish member of Aerys’ Kingsguard is Prince Lewyn Martell.Report

4. Avatar Will Truman

I have a question… I read somewhere that Dance is the follow-up to the third novel. I try not to read too much about it all so that I can avoid spoilers, but is this true? If so, where does the fourth novel fit in? Does Dance take place in between the third and fourth or after the fourth? (I know that there are some prequels. I am kind of ignoring them at the moment while I focus on the main four/five.)Report

5. Avatar Kyle Cupp

Cool. Just finished A Game of Thrones last night (technically this morning) and am ready to plunge into the winter waters of Kings. Amazing storytelling thus far. I particularly admire how the fantastic elements are present, but minimal, lurking beyond the Wall and within seemingly cold stone. It makes the their eruption all the more potent.Report

6. Avatar Daniel

Two questions for the hivemind: the red and white shield under Castamere —who is that and why is it upside-down? Second, what’s the red, yellow, white, and black shield near Nunn’s Deep? Is that a manticore?Report

• Avatar Ryan B in reply to Daniel

First: that would be the sigil of House Reyne of Castamere. It’s upside down as a reference to Tywin’s complete annihilation of the house and its line of succession.

Second: The manticore sigil belongs to House Lorch, of which the only member we’ve seen is Ser Amory. There appears to be some dispute on the interwebs about exactly what the Lorch sigil looks like. I just did a quick Ctrl+F in my Kindle versions of the first two books, and I can see why. It’s never very clearly described, although it’s definitely a manticore.Report

7. Avatar Daniel

Also, is it me or is House Bolton kind of cool? In like a favorite antagonist sort of way? I mean Roose Bolton and Ramsay are just such blood-curdling characters. I love it.Report

8. Avatar JoseVCC

This is a great site; I had been looking for a discussion site for “A Game of Thrones” and luckily found this one. I am re-reading GoT right now, and would love to participate in the discussions. I just finished chapters 42 and 43 (Tyrion VI and Eddard XI). Am I behind with respect to you guys? Please let me know. Thanks!Report