In a decision with potentially large ramifications, New York Federal Judge LaShann DeArcy Hall won't dismiss a libel suit against "Shitty Media Men" creator Moira Donegan.
Explaining, the judge says it is possible that Donegan created the entry herself. The judge believes that Elliott should be able to explore whether the entry was fabricated. Accordingly, discovery proceeds, which will now put pressure on Google to respond to broad subpoena demands. The next motion stage could feature a high-stakes one about the reaches of CDA 230.
No Sex Please, You Live In A Dorm
Seriously? The President of Catholic University thinks that going back to single-sex dorms is going to cut down on the number of undergraduates having sex, and therefore improve academic performance. (Via.) A few thoughts on this (admittedly fueled by a rather strong preblogging G&T)…
1. News flash: people of the same sex can and do have sex together. That’s been going on for, um, quite some time now, which ought not to be news to the faculty and administration of Catholic University.
2. People who want to have sex with opposite-sex partners are not going to to be deterred by gender segregation in the dorms. In fact, sneaking in to the opposite-sex dorm to get together with your lover is probably going to be a lot more fun and a lot more sexy when it becomes against the rules.
3. How “against the rules” is this really going to be, anyway? What is the school going to do if they catch you having sex in your dorm room? Kick you out of the dorms? Expel you and forego all that tuition? Really? I don’t think so.
4. These are adults. Young adults, perhaps, but of legal age to consent to sex and young enough to be doing it with enthusiasm and a low degree of selectivity. Catholic University is not their parents no matter how Catholic it is.
5. I had a co-ed dorm my first year in college. Four wings of the dorm, two stories, men on one floor in one wing, women on the other, alternating. My romantic success rate with women in my own dorm was much lower than with women in other dorm buildings or who lived off campus. My sexualsuccess rate was embarassingly low until I moved off campus, which was partly the fault of my social ineptness and partly the fault of the fact that my would-have-been-partners and I never had any privacy at all because it was a dorm.