Attention League (Board) Gaming Geeks!

Mark of New Jersey

Mark is a Founding Editor of The League of Ordinary Gentlemen, the predecessor of Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar Don Zeko

I’m in.Report

2. Avatar Ben JB

Have you ever played Diplomacy online? I tried once, though we made the fatal mistake of not having a time limit; so the game stretched on and on as people debated and got really into their characters. I did a lot of research on Russian uniforms of the time. I would be interested in trying again.Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Ben JB

Yeah, I was just introduced to the game a few weeks ago, and I immediately opened an account online. Playdiplomacy seems to have a pretty user-friendly setup, and it’s been extremely enjoyable playing there for me.

We need three more!Report

3. Avatar Will

Screw it, I’m down. I’m assuming we’ll get email notifications regarding turns etc.? What’s the policy on trash talk?Report

4. Avatar Mark Thompson

We need just two more! Jaybird? Pat Cahalan? You know you want to!Report

5. Avatar North

Wish I knew how to play and had more time.Report

6. Avatar Pat Cahalan

username “ragnar2112”.Report

7. Avatar Mark Thompson

We still need one more, but because I’m an optimistic sort, I’ve set the game up.

The game name is Ordinary Gents, password is bowlerhats. Game number 29520.Report

8. Avatar Christopher Carr

I’d like to play. What kind of time commitment are we talking about?Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to Christopher Carr

It shouldn’t be much of a daily time commitment with the deadlines I’ve set up – you’ll never have to enter more than one set of moves a day. Obviously the amount of time you spend negotiating and talking smack is up to you.

Most likely it will take around a month to complete, though if everyone finalizes their orders quickly, it will take a lot less time.Report

9. Avatar Chris Burfield

I guess I’m the odd man out? I would like to play if there is anymore interest or if there happens to be a second game.

http://www.diplom.org has quite a few diplomacy resources such as info on variants, maps, and strategy articles. And it was also the sight through which I’ve played previous games of e-mail diplomacy.Report

10. Avatar Christopher Carr

I just joined. There are still two spots left.Report

11. Avatar Sky

Is there any way to spectate? Or will there be a second game? Online diplomacy got me through my 2L year at law school with sanity intact.Report

12. Avatar Kyle

Mark, Are you planning a second game later on?Report