Friday Night Jukebox

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar dexter

Aging does suck, but it beats the known alternative. Hope you don’t mind, but a couple of hints from somebody that is about the same age as Ron Wood, buy land and take good care of your teeth.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

Honey, you couldn’t pay me to be 26 again.Report

3. Avatar Winston

Aging sucks because you turned 26? This could end up being one of the most idiotic sentences you’ve ever written, and I hope you live long enough to learn exactly what I mean.Report

4. Avatar silentbeep

I’m turning 34 this year. I have found much more happiness in my thirties than i ever did in my twenties (so far). I hated 26.

“It probably helps that I am in a stable relationship, have money, and have friends.”

@Pirate Guy
    It took all of my twenties to find those things too, at satisfying levels. Probably why I’m enjoying my thirties so much right now.Report

5. Avatar mark boggs

Just look at what aging has done for Rod Stewart. He was once a kick-ass rock singer in a band with Jeff Beck and now he sings covers of some of the drippiest shit known to man. And they say it gets better.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to mark boggs

I enjoy listening to Every Picture Tells A Story a hell of a lot more than I enjoyed being able to relate to it.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to mark boggs

Well, look what’s happened to Jeff Beck. From hi-voltage blues to obsessive kick-ass name band with George Martin producing … to world class tantrum artiste and fiddle-faddle finger exercises trying to masquerade as music. Not a pretty picture.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to BlaiseP

Eric Clapton: world-class blues guitarist to mediocre pop singer.Report

• Avatar mark boggs in reply to Mike Schilling

Maybe that’s the only good thing drug overdoses did for us: Keep the likes of Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison from aging into artists who put out the required “standards” album. Although I think Morrison’s voice could have done justice to some of the old hits.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to mark boggs

As an early Genesis fan, I am bemused to hear Phil Collins is finally calling it quits. If only Genesis had gone down in a plane crash just before Gabriel left, their reputation would have remained atop Olympus, along with most of their literary references.

Instead, Genesis became a hideous parody of itself, reversing its endless search for the least common to an endless search for the least common denominator.Report

• Avatar greginak in reply to mark boggs

kurt cobain’s reputation was also saved/inflated by a tragic early death. he would either be burnt out or worse then rod stewert now.Report

• Avatar demz taters in reply to greginak

I think Cobain knew he was headed for an ignoble death by heroin OD and chose the “blaze of glory” route instead. He also did say that he hoped he died before he became Pete Townshend.Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

Rock and Roll provides us another Omelas to walk away from.

You can listen to this great music… but it will require the artist to be miserable, drug-addled, his girl/boyfriends to be regularly heartbroken, and given a 50-50 shot of dying young.

Do you accept that bargain?Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Jaybird

I grew up reading novelists from the first half of the 20th Century: Hemingway, Faulkner, Lewis, Fitzgerald, In other words, a collection of the most screwed-up drunks you could find. Plus ca change …Report

• Avatar mark boggs in reply to Jaybird

But their misery is self-imposed. If that gives us some good music, I’m willing to let them choose to be irresponsible. For the children.Report

7. Avatar Freddie

The only thing that sucks is not embracing wherever you’re at. And I’m turning 30 in three months.Report

8. Avatar Pat Cahalan

Jesus Christ, you guys make me feel ancient. “I’m a *man*! I’m *forty*!”

Well, not yet, but this year.Report

9. Avatar Jaybird

Has anybody heard from Christopher Carr?Report

10. Avatar Will

I can’t find any contact info on his blog’s “About” page. And the entry about the disaster doesn’t sound good.Report