A Tribute to Sean Carasov

Barrett Brown

I am the founder of the distributed think-tank Project PM and a regular inactive to Vanity Fair and Skeptical Inquirer. My work has also appeared in The Onion, National Lampoon, New York Press, D Magazine, Skeptic, McSweeney's, American Atheist, and a couple of newspapers in the U.S. and Mexico as well as a few policy journals. I'm the author of two books and serve as a consultant to various political entities and private clients.

1. Avatar Kenneth Lipp

Seems a singularly dynamic man. Candid post.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird

The number one thing that I saw as an upside to hitting the age that I have is that I thought that most of my friends have finally stopped dying. I mean, I knew that they would start again for reasons like heart disease and strokes and cancer and whatnot… but not for a decade or so! But I had finally reached the point where I’d stopped hearing about “hold my beer and watch this” and suicide deaths.

Hearing about such things always tears me apart and takes me back to my 20s where it felt like I heard about one of my friends dying every couple of months.

It never gets easier, it never gets kinder, it never feels like anything but a punch to the gut.

Dude. I hate to hear about when my friends die. I am so sorry that you had to hear about one of your friends dying.

That sucks dude. It totally, absolutely, 100% sucks. I am sorry.Report

3. Avatar Tony Comstock

20 years ago I found out someone I knew and who had shown me some kindness was dying of AIDS. I didn’t write him before he died and my failure to do so haunts me to this day.

I’m sorry to hear about your friend’s death. I’ve no doubt he’d forgive your tardiness.Report

4. Avatar Ned Resnikoff

Suicide is a particularly brutal way to lose someone, but I hope writing about it helped you. Beautiful post.Report

5. Avatar DensityDuck

The worst part is going to be watching all the Scientology fucks congratulating themselves over this, as though they personally pulled the trigger.Report

6. Avatar Eagle Driver

Barrett,

Thank you very much for your article, your words are convicting and at the same time hopeful for those of us needing a reminder of the gift of friends and such. Thank you for the link to the review of Postman’s book. Thank you very much for requiring us (and especially me) to stop and think of others especially during this time of year in our culture. Sean Carasov, of whom I knew nothing of before, has just touched another human being. Incredible. Thank you for reminding us that there are people not just positions.Report

• Avatar Barrett Brown in reply to Eagle Driver

I appreciate you taking the time to say so. I don’t usually running around giving water to the dead, but Sean really was a truly admirable specimen of 21st century man, and I hope that this little account will inspire others to think about spending a bit of time fighting for what they believe in rather than waiting for history to do the job for them.Report

7. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

I am so sorry to read this. My apologies too for not seeing it sooner. He seems like someone I would have been proud to know, if only I had.Report

8. Avatar AnonyFruit

Ffff… Hurts, tho i’ve known since the second november… R I P sean, an extraordinarily awesome man, and quite the source of inspiration.. A few people who have actally influenced this world to the better during this decade..Report