The Heart and Soul of Libertarianism

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar Jaybird

What’s worse? Four Loko or the Tea Party?

What’s worse? Stuff that I like or stuff that other people like?

I think we can all agree that the stuff that I like is harmless when used responsibly but the stuff that they like is harmful and ought to be regulated.Report

2. Avatar ktward

Mass hospitalizations from bingeing on cheeseburgers, cigs, scientology?

Huh. Guess I missed those headlines.
    Must’ve happened while I was in a Four Loko coma.Report

3. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

Truthfully, I went looking for Four Loko tonight but couldn’t find any. I was disappointed. I’d hoped to blog about it after I’d tried the stuff. (I’m more of a gin martini kind of guy, but in the name of research, I’ll make some sacrifices.)

If you want alcoholic gummi bears, you can always try any variety of schnapps. Maybe that’s the next thing to be banned?

Oh wait — that’s not declassé enough to get banned. Fire away, by all means. Don’t let me stop you.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Jason Kuznicki

I have, for reasons that now escape me, tried “Joose”.

It’s a malt liquor energy drink similar (I imagine) to Four Loko.

Imagine a Monster or Rockstar Energy Drink.

Now make it taste even more chemically with a tiny bite of alcohol. Now imagine being disappointed because you’re not *THAT* buzzed in either direction.

That’s pretty much the experience in a nutshell. You’re better off with Jaegerbombs.

I just read that last sentence again. Think about that.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Jaybird

Well energy drinks are caffeine and sugar, but alcohol itself is a depressant, so biochemically it’d be like strapping on a jetpack and also huge leg weights at the same time.Report

• Avatar ThatPirateGuy in reply to North

From my jaegerbomb experience it is more like simultaneously getting more energy and less judgement.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to North

Yeah, but Joose didn’t do either particularly well.Report

• Avatar Boegiboe in reply to North

Alcohol gets classified as a depressant because that is its high-dose toxicology, but the real story is more complicated. For most* people alcohol is a stimulant but has increasingly depressant qualities from the moment a person starts drinking. It’s a very peculiar drug, probably because it’s chemically the simplest safe** intoxicant humans use–with a simple chemical structure it is able to affect lots of different biological systems. Anyway, that first Four Loco is going to be a hyper-blast of stimulant–for people who aren’t already addicted to caffeine, that is.

*One theory about people with a tendency toward alcoholism is that the gradual reduction in stimulant effect doesn’t kick in for them the way it does for most people.

**Water can be an intoxicant, too, but at the levels that it inebriates it is always close to deadly levels. Methanol is simpler than ethanol, but it sure ain’t safe.Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

I’m fine with Four Loko so long as it doesn’t come with a cheap plastic toy.Report

5. Avatar Randy Stoner

The two MAIN Rules of Life:

1. Have as much FUN as possible.

2. Stay out of jail.

They seem to converge in Chronic Caffeine Crunk.

Randy