The Hunger Games (and other books and such)

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Lehane’s five Kenzie-Genarro books (of which Sacred and Gone, Baby Gone are two) are guilty pleasures for me — noir with the violence turned way up and the plausibility way, way down, and every villain the world’s baddest badass. If you liked those two, you’ll probably like the others just as much.Report

2. Avatar Soylent Green is Sheeple says:

Winter *is* Coming …Report

3. Avatar Katherine says:

Fringe is awesome, I’m glad to find someone else who likes it.

God in America isn’t very good. It focuses on the controversies (especially evolution) and ignores a lot of other areas where religion was prominent (temperance movement, Sabbatarianism, formation of the early public school system, founding of the first universities, Mormonism) just because they don’t slot as neatly into modern-day political controversies.Report

4. Avatar DensityDuck says:

Wow, that Klavan piece was…weird.

Neuromancer: I don’t think there’d be much point in a “Neuromancer” movie anymore, although I’m sure that someone’s planning to try. Every idea that Neuromancer brought to the table has been done better by something else.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I agree about Neuromancer. There is one scene from the book that I would love to see done in a movie (the scene where he is talking to Wintermute on the payphone, hangs up on it/him, then walks down the way and as he passes each payphone in the row of payphones, it rings once) but the future has changed since Neuromancer and we now have technology (ubiquitous phones) that makes that scene quaint and obsolete.

All of the other things that I loved in the book have been tackled by God knows how many other movies (most of them PKD movies, ironically enough).

Now… a video game… *THAT* might be the medium that Neuromancer has been waiting for! Well, again. The one for the Apple II was pretty good but I’d like to see one for the 360.Report

• Avatar DensityDuck says:

On the other hand, you could have a fun bit where Case is walking through a crowd, and as he walks past everyone in the crowd *their* phone rings; like, instead of pay phones, now it’s the people themselves!Report