Debate on the Nature of Atheism, Christianity, and the State

Barrett Brown

I am the founder of the distributed think-tank Project PM and a regular inactive to Vanity Fair and Skeptical Inquirer. My work has also appeared in The Onion, National Lampoon, New York Press, D Magazine, Skeptic, McSweeney's, American Atheist, and a couple of newspapers in the U.S. and Mexico as well as a few policy journals. I'm the author of two books and serve as a consultant to various political entities and private clients.

1. Avatar ThatPirateGuy

No pressure then?Report

2. Avatar Pat Cahalan

I do believe a gauntlet has been thrown, verily!Report

3. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

I understand Andy Kaufman was a pretty good wrestler, too.Report

4. Avatar ScrubAssChump

Extraordinarily aroused. Thanks.Report

5. Avatar Rufus F.

Wait- is the debate going to take place on the League and the First Things blog? Or is Vanity Fair going to cover it, complete with Annie Leibovitz pictures of you two with captions like “The Godless” and “The Righteous” and 120 pages of fashion ads?

(I kid, but I’m seriously a sniveling geek fanboy when it comes to Vanity Fair.)Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

Awesome.

Bets on who is going to lose his temper first? Anybody?Report

7. Avatar Will

For future reference, we generally go by “Noted Creed Apologist Joe Carter” when referring to First Things’ esteemed web editor:

8. Avatar North

I want to observe that this comment thread has been the shining highlight of an otherwise dreary day. Thanks. I’m in stitches here.Report

9. Avatar MFarmer

That’s great. I remember when Joe came up with the Cubs in ’83 — I was in Leesville, La., trying to find my way east, which has nothing to do with the subject. He was no Rocky Colavito, though, but then who could be? Perhaps a comparison to Ernie Banks is more appropriate, but not really. Ten years before that, I could have made it to the minors, but I broke my arm in a barfight and changed direction, never dreaming one day I’d be anticipating such an event.Report

10. Avatar robert green

i hope you get all ontological on his ass barrett. fuck epistemology and all that it stands for! DON’T BRING A DESCARTESIAN KNIFE TO A BUBERIAN GUN FIGHT or blood will flow. yours. or his. i don’t know. do you have any more of that ginger ale?Report

11. Avatar Transplanted Lawyer

This has to be the best blog-hype ever. Well done, sir.Report

12. Avatar Christopher Carr

You might be interested in this as an example of mediocre mainstream media reporting:

13. Avatar ScrubAssChump

nobody has said anything nice about me. I’m going into a blind rage.

Religion is, like, really stupid.Report

14. Avatar Colin

I never thought I would say this about the internet, but I don’t have the faintest idea what anyone is talking about.Report

15. Avatar Petellius

I can’t believe that this thread has gone on for this long, and gotten this dorky (ahem… “blood for the blood god”?) and no one has called attention to your radically improbably claim to take on the aspect of Tolkienian true-silver.Report