Fun campaign lists

Lisa Kramer

Lisa Kramer is a contributing contributor at The League of Ordinary Gentlemen.

1. Avatar Will says:

This is a pretty great list, but I feel like Redford in “The Candidate” and Douglas in “The American President” should get honorable mentions for the Best Candidate in a Movie category.Report

• Avatar Lisa Kramer says:

@Will, The scene with Redford in the car repeating campaign jargon to the point of nonsense is classic.

I’m iffy on Michael Douglas. If Aaron Sorkin hadn’t topped his own character by creating Jed Bartlett, I’d probably be higher on Andrew Shepherd. Of course, as I write this I’m thinking of the “this is a time for serious people and your 15 minutes are up” line and smiling.Report

2. Avatar JosephFM says:

For Happy Warriors…Mike Huckabee, maybe? Even when he said things I found incredibly offensive, he never seemed consciously mean-spirited. One of the 2008 Republican primary debates was held at my university during my senior year; Huckabee was the only guy besides Ron Paul to show any personality at all, and he alone tried to schmooze with the crowd afterwards, despite a lot of them (such as myself) not even being Republicans.Report

• Avatar Lisa Kramer says:

@JosephFM, Wow, good call on Huckabee. You’re right – I enjoyed his campaign style as well.

A friend of mine offered up Jon Tester as an example. Must be something about Montanans since Schweitzer did a bit of a Happy Warrior turn at the Democratic convention as well.Report

• Avatar Dan Miller says:

@JosephFM, The Huck works, and I might also nominate Al Franken. He’s got an edge, but gosh darn it, he’s just so personable.Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Happy Warrior Joe Biden (though Huck’s also a good choice).Report

4. Avatar pinkerd says:

Can we have a look at HHH’s nomination acceptance speech in 1968? Yes, at that benighted Democratic convention in Chicago. I thought the speech was brilliant when I viewed it some 30 years after the fact.Report