Regime Change

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Robert Cheeks says:

Let’s see the UAW turned their back on their brothers/sisters in the USW back in the 60-70’s when Big Auto started buying foreign steel because it was ‘cheaper.’ “The hell with American steel,” they said.
    Well, guess what, the shoes on the other foot. So, it’s the “hell with the UAW,” I’ll buy Ford or foreign but I sure as hell will never buy Obama moters!Report

2. Avatar greginak says:

Sorry Rufus. This does not agree with conservative talking points and fears, therefore it is not happening. And The Economist is a liberal rag. hell people probably think drudge is an asshole there so its all propaganda.Report

3. Avatar Will says:

Hahaha so I usually try to guess the authors of “Off the Cuff” posts before I check. I had this one pegged as Kuznicki for sure.Report

4. Avatar Katherine says:

Well, at least the auto bailout didn’t kill anybody, and the government withdrawal is starting a lot sooner.Report

• Avatar Scott in reply to Katherine says:

@Katherine,

Is that really the best rational you can come up to support Obama’s UAW bailout? The gov’t will get out of GM and then the UAW can ruin the rest of the company with their wage extortion.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Scott says:

@Scott,

A truly moral UAW would donate its labor in support of the investing class that is the true backbone of America.Report

• Avatar Katherine in reply to Scott says:

No, it was just an off-the-cuff comment inspired by the comparison. The best rationale I know of is the sheer scope of the number of jobs that would have been lost – not just in Detroit, but in dealerships across the country – if GM had gone under. I don’t like the auto bailout, not at all. The idea of government holding shares in a private, for-profit company that competes with other companies the government regulates disturbs me. But I think the recession would have been far worse if they hadn’t done anything. The fact that Canada’s Conservative government also helped bail out the auto companies supports this assessment.Report