Beer blogging: Chimay “Red”

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Kevin Lawrence

Might that be “Cistercian” rather than “cistern” (although my iPad just autocorrected to cistern for me (thanks iPad!). Maybe that happened to you, too.

(Sipping Chimay White while I type)Report

2. Avatar MikeG

Koningshoeven is in the NetherlandsReport

3. Avatar Will

As my roommate is fond of saying: “Chimay; she may not.”Report

4. Avatar Pat Cahalan

Drinking while blogging actually can produce some quality work. I think the entire League ought to do a liquor/beer/wine blogging post once a month 🙂Report

5. Avatar Jaybird

My favorite of the Chimay beer is the “Cinq Cents” one.

(I drink it with a lemon wedge.)

I find that it tastes like Summer (child variety). So I drink it when the Summer heat is too oppressive to my adult sensibilities *OR* when it’s too, too cold and I want to remember feeling warm.Report

• Avatar Will H. in reply to Jaybird

@Jaybird, That’s the best of the tripels, imho.
      I forget if it’s Atomium or Piraat that is a very close but lower cost brew; one of the two.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Will H.

@Will H., another one I discovered is a brew called “Fin Du Monde”. It’s got a picture of Newfoundland on the front (which, I understand, is breathtakingly funny).

I brought a bottle home one evening and Maribou laughed at me telling me that Fin Du Monde was what college kids in Montreal drank if they didn’t have a whole lot of money.

Having experienced it firsthand, I’ve gotta say: they’re on to something.Report

6. Avatar Rufus

@Jaybird, Yeah, that makes sense. I’ve never tried it in the summer for some reason. It seems like I drink a lot more Chimay in the winter holiday season. I’m not sure why.Report

7. Avatar Bo

I like Chimay Red, but my favorite Trappist-style ales are domestics made by heartless corporations, specifically, Ommegang’s Hennepin and New Glarus’s Belgian Red. They both sell their ales primarily in 750ml bottles, though I have seen six packs of Ommegang’s Abbey Ale. All of their respective ales are worth a try. New Glarus is based in Wisconsin and only available (in the US at least) in the Midwest (screw you three-tier system), but I think Ommegang is widely available, since they’re owned by a large Belgian beer company now.Report

• Avatar Bo in reply to Bo

@Bo, OTOH, I haven’t actually drank a Chimay in 3 or 4 years, so maybe I should pick up a bottle, or do a side by side between Chimay Red and Ommegang Abbey Ale.Report

• Avatar Rufus in reply to Bo

@Bo, I’ll have to see if we can get it up here. The LCBO can be hit or miss on good beers. Another group of beers that remind me of Chimay quite a bit are the ales produced in the good old US of A by Allagash in Portland, Maine. Technically, I think they’re called “Belgian style” instead of “Trappist style”, but they taste pretty similar to me.Report

• Avatar Bo in reply to Rufus

@Rufus, good point on ‘Belgian style’ vs. ‘Trappist style’. In my defense, most commercial Belgian imports (apart from the lambics) I’ve had have been almost as boring as Bud, so Belgian-style mostly evokes beers like Blue Moon or those fruit wheat beers every medium brewery throws in to round out their mix packs.

I’ve only ever had Allagash’s Grand Cru, but it was mighty fine. Allagash is widely available around here so I really have no excuse for not trying it.Report

• Avatar Rufus in reply to Bo

@Bo, Oh I’m sure you’re right about Belgian beers. Honestly, my tastes are no more sophisticated than drinking one of everything I can get and trying to remember what beers I liked. But I remember the Allagash beers as being very good.Report

8. Avatar agorabum

Since you are in Ontario, I’m not sure of the availability of other beers; I hear there is a state/province control board in some areas that restricts supply. But there is no need to make the trek all the way to Belgium; you could do quite well with a brewery trip in the US. Portland is a new world beer mecca (with more breweries than Munich and far more variety); North Coast brewery in California, on the Lost Coast, would be quite the scenic trip; Russian River and Alesmith are pretty good Cali beers too.
    For a closer trip, I second (third?) Ommegang and Allagash recommendations. Or a not quite so close trip, Colorado (Avery Salvation or The Beast, New Belgium Abbey (from the folks who came out with Fat Tire)).
    Unibroue is a more local, Canadian company that produces some fine Belgian styles as well.
    None of them can be called “trappist” since they are not from monks, just New World beer enthusiasts. That’s the real signifier of that label. So Chimay is both Belgian style and trappist.Report

9. Avatar Will H.

I think that the Chimay beers are the best examples of their respective styles. The Delirium Nocturnum is a very good strong Belgian dark, similar to the blue.Report

10. Avatar Steve

Chimay is my favorite beer. Just had an experience while drinking a few Chimay’s; the fellow next to me went into a full seizure. It was very scary and with the help of others we were able to help him through it till Emergency services arrived. While I am not a medial profeesiona land I did not sleep at at Holiday Inn last night, I did drink a Chimay.Report