I write like . . . H. P. Lovecraft

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar Mark Thompson

I came across this the other day. As with you, HP Lovecraft was my most frequent result – about half the posts I put in – but I also got a good amount of James Joyce, Isaac Asimov, and Cory Doctorow mixed in.Report

2. Avatar Mopey Duns

Fun fact. Any piece of correctly formatted correspondence you put in to the program will come out as David Foster Wallace. I have no idea why.

It’s actually a bit eerie.Report

3. Avatar North

Anne Coulter??? Noooooo!!!Report

4. Avatar LawMonkey

I too wound up as H.P. Lovecraft, based on the first few pages of my law review Comment. (Appropriate; reading law reviews often costs me a few points of sanity.) A couple of my blog posts returned H.G. Wells and Cory Doctorow.Report

5. Avatar Jaybird

David Foster Wallace.

I think it’s because I say “I” a lot.Report

6. Avatar Christopher Carr

I was also David Foster Wallace, but I think it’s because I overuse hyphens. I got Cory Doctorow the second time around, and then H.P Lovecraft.Report

7. Avatar Transplanted Lawyer

Ten samples produced these results, in alphabetical order:

Dan Brown: 1
    Arthur Clarke: 1
    Cory Doctorow: 1
    H.P. Lovecraft: 4
    David Foster Wallace: 3

First, a result that includes even one in ten incidences of “Dan Brown” is galling. Second, is “H.P. Lovecraft” code for “uses long sentences?” Finally, is “David Foster Wallace” code for “uses semicolons somewhat correctly”?Report

8. Avatar Jonathan

I put in two, and both times got Kurt Vonnegut.Report

9. Avatar Phranqulyn

Odd. I got David Foster Wallace multiple times. Never having knowingly read any of his work, I got a collection of essays from my local library to sample. The excerpts I’ve presented to friends and family are some decent writing, and all agree that there is an odd similarity to my style of both writing and speaking.

On the other hand , I uploaded a lengthy quote by Robert Heinlein, which was analysed as Cory Doctorow.Report

10. Avatar Banzai Bunny

It says I write like Annie Rice, who is presumably Anne Rice’s talentless niece or something.Report

11. Avatar JosephFM

First try from an academic paper got Cory Doctorow.

The second one, from an old locked Livejournal post, got Stephen King.Report

12. Avatar Pat Cahalan

Edgar Allen Poe.

Pardon me while I go soak my tortured mind in some despair.Report