Should we keep mini-posts?

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Trumwill

I’ve noticed that it has been used less frequently. If it’s something you’re just flat not going to use, then I guess do away with it. But if you do, it will be missed.Report

2. Avatar Jonathan

Personally, I quite enjoy the mini-posts. Often, if I only have a few minutes at work to take a quick break, so I’ll pop through one or two.

However, I’m sure I’d keep reading The League if they disappeared.Report

3. Avatar James Joyner

I’ve actually instituted them on OTB with the most recent design and did so on Manzine previously. I find that it just makes sense to segregate quickie posts from think pieces.

Then again, this really only matters to those readers who access the site from the home page. Those reading it in a feed reader or coming in from a direct link haven’t the foggiest that there’s a distinction.Report

4. Avatar North

Don’t you touch my Gifts of Gab section or I’m coming after you with an ice pick.Report

5. I will second what James said. When you use a reader there is no distinction between the two. My personal preference is for blogs to be as lean as possible in appearance. At my blog I’ve removed everything except one column for posts and my blogroll. I find it just makes navigating more simple. The format here at The Leage has gotten so cumbersome it almost seems you’d be better off with a website as I think you’ve nearly exceeded the cabilities of a blogging platform.Report

6. Avatar Will

Keep ’em, please.Report

7. Avatar Jaybird

I dig them, for the most part. If I were to make a change, I’d just change the sidebar so that there was always one “open thread” available. When one gets pushed off, start a new one. If this takes a week, great, if it takes a month, great.

I like the opportunities that just having a “this is for dinky throwaways” sidebar offers, even if they aren’t used.Report

8. Avatar Kyle Cupp

I like the division. And the name “Off the cuff”!Report

9. Avatar James Joyner

I should note that I didn’t realize this post was an “Off The Cuff” until after posting my last comment and noticing it in the sidebar.Report

10. Avatar Mike Schilling

Perhaps it’s purely suggestion, but the mini-posts seem different in spirit to me: lighter, friendlier, more inviting of a flip or silly response. By all means, keep them.Report

11. Avatar Transplanted Lawyer

The “Off The Cuff” feature is one of the most charming things about this blog.

For me, it won’t matter, though. I’m generally viewing posts in a reader and if I feel impelled to comment that’s the first time I learn that it’s an Off The Cuff or a center-stage post, and it does not make any difference to me at that point.Report

12. Avatar Rufus F.

I like posting stuff here that I find interesting, but haven’t got much to say about, other than, “Hey, here’s something interesting!” I’ve done that a bit less often lately because I’m not sure it’s not wasting space. But I enjoy the feature for sure.Report