Truth, Justice, and the American (sexual) Way

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Jaybird

One thing that definitely did not help the Social Conservatives was that their sex scandals were *WEIRD*.

I mean, when the Mark Sanford thing happened, it was almost boring. How vanilla to merely have a mistress!

Prior to that, we had how many weird scandals? There was Larry Craig, and David Vitter, and that one guy who was caught cybering pages, and that’s not even getting into the (no pun intended) lay leaders of the social conservative movement such as Ted Haggard.

When you spend as much time talking about Fidelity and Continence and whathaveyou and you implicitly argue that only folks like you are capable of such things while folks like those other folks ought not have marriage options extended to them, it becomes even more wonderful when we find that you have been photographed in an underground “Spaghetti Brothel”* engaging in acts that I shall not describe on a family website.

(* don’t bother googling this term. I just now made it up in an effort to come up with something that sounds like it might exist and would be a really apt euphemism for something really kinky but isn’t explicitly descriptive of whatever that thing might be.)Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Jaybird

@Jaybird, I really did feel bad for Larry Craig because it was something I could imagine really being a case of mixed signals and not cruising. I could see something like that happening to Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm and him screaming, “I have a wide stance! Why can`t I have a wide stance?!”Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Rufus F.

@Rufus F., without delving *TOO* far into the scatological, I’ll ask you to drop your pants around your ankles the next time you find yourself on the porcelain throne and make your stance as wide as you can.

Heck, don’t drop them around your ankles, keep them at your knees. Get wide!

(Seriously, the day this story broke, I said “this smells fishy” and went and made all kinds of stances with all levels of pants-putting. “Wide” described *NONE* of them.)Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Jaybird

@Jaybird, Aside from your slur against the spaghetti brothel community, I agree with you.

However, I look at political sex scandals this way- we have this woman on our block who sits on her front porch for hours every evening chatting with people. If you talk to her, what you find is that she’s gossiping about everyone on the block who isn’t present. There’s something really ugly about her prying into everyone’s lives and her willingness to draw the most mean-spirited conclusions from the flimsiest of evidence. And my wife and I just assume she gossips about us when we’re not there. After a few conversations when we first moved in, we’ve had no use for her and avoided talking to her.

I think a lot of us would like to see the prying-gossip-on her-porch aspect removed from the US political conversation because it is a lousy character trait to indulge, right? The problem, as I see it, is that the left knows it’s a lousy aspect of politics, but nevertheless think it’s worth it to nail one of those Republican bastards after they saw to it that everyone in America knows what Clinton did with his cigar. Republicans, meanwhile, know that it’s a lousy aspect of our politics, but nevertheless think it’s worthwhile to nail one of those Democrat bastards, especially after they’ve dragged so many good Republicans through the mud, and hypocritically too since everyone knows they don’t believe in morality anyway! The end result is that every politician in America will eventually have to submit to a penile plethsymograph or a vaginal photoplethysmograph before running for office.

I guess the only thing that, maybe, we can all agree on is that the people trying to smear Nikki Haley are, most likely, lying sacks of manure.Report

• Avatar Simon K in reply to Jaybird

@Jaybird, Psychologically it seems pretty easy to explain. If you invest so much time and effort in denying and repressing your own sexuality – spaghettiphilia or whatever it may be – you’re quite likely to develop some pretty weird and extreme expressions of that sexuality, and also to be extremely unsympathetic to other people with unconventional sex lives.Report

2. Avatar Cascadian

Sanford wasn’t boring it was cringe inducing. The guy sounded so naive and handled it all so badly. Only Tiger could do worse.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Cascadian

@Cascadian, he was in love.

I’m a huge fan of monogamy, and a huger fan of fidelity once within the bounds of matrimony but, dude, the guy was in love.

Of *COURSE* he was stupid. That’s what falling in love does.

He wasn’t indulging his various appetites, he wasn’t mentally ill and self-medicating poorly… he was a guy who was in love.

My heart is not yet so blackened that it cannot beat once in pity on account of such a fool.Report

• Avatar Cascadian in reply to Jaybird

@Jaybird, Perfectly understandable behavior…. for a seventeen year old. I’m no fan of monogamy. But, if you’re going to go down this road, one needs honesty with oneself and ones partner. I’m trying to imagine Charles Barkley getting caught in this type of mess.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Cascadian

@Cascadian, hey, he’s a fool.

What I’d expect to hear about Charles Barkley was that he had a girl in every port not that he had a main squeeze on the side whom he loved very much and if life had been different…

Again: this is not me saying that what Sanford did was good or admirable or anything like that.

I’m just saying that “he was in love” mitigates some stuff allowing me to downgrade a guy from “sleaze” to “fool”.Report

3. Avatar Trumwill

I can’t think of anyone I know who, when hearing about a politician’s sexual affairs, laughs and says, “Just goes to show you- being faithful to your spouse is a joke!“

I haven’t heard that, but back during the Clinton fiasco I did hear from a lot of people that we were prudish for even caring about his infidelity and that we should be more like the French who allow mistresses to attend dignitary funerals because they’re enlightened and we’re not and blah blah blah. Most Democrats took the “Morally reprehensible, but ultimately not relevant to her performance.” Some liberals took it a step further. They definitely did around me, though I was in college at the time and such ideas probably held more truck in that environment.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Trumwill

@Trumwill, Yeah, and at that age too. When I was 20, my thoughts on adult sexual norms were certainly different and probably pretty inaccurate.

I do get tired of the gripes about prudish Americans and their “Puritan heritage” too. The stereotypical “French marriage” is the product of a very different culture with very different views on marriage, social norms, and gender relations. I wouldn’t call it more sophisticated or liberated, and I also really cannot imagine it being imported to American culture.

Now, I might tend to argue the point that the sex lives of public officials- provided we’re not talking about raping children- are not our business, nor relevant to their jobs. However, I am totally open to the counter-argument that cheating on your spouse is carelessness towards the heart of your closest companion, and if you’re capable of that, what else are you capable of?

But, see, that’s a discussion! And Gerson almost has that discussion, before deciding instead to argue with whoever it is that thinks that people who believe in marital fidelity are schmucks.Report

4. Avatar Barry

When puzzling over Gerson, it pays to remember that (a) he was a GOP speechwriter; he was paid to come up with highly partisan talking points, and (b) he was a speechwriter for a very dishonest and highly corrupt and highly malicious president.

That’s it.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to Barry

@Barry, Yeah, that’s probably true, and I’m really questioning the talking point more than the talker. I’m definitely not holding out hope that Gerson’s next column will be entitled “League of Ordinary Gentlemen Helps Me to See the Light”.Report

5. Avatar Mike Schilling

If you can find a Democratic politician calling for open marriage and Satanism, please cite them.

Barry Hussein Soetoro, of course. Do try to keep up.Report