The Sarah Palin Effect

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

If that’s true, I’m sorry to hear it. What’s badly needed is a firm push back against the idea that religion that doesn’t include a dogmatic belief in the literal truth of its scriptures is weak, inauthentic, and tantamount to atheism.Report

• Avatar DEO says:

I believe it. No one wants to be associated with a hypocritical blowhard…not such an OBVIOUS one anyway.

If $arah represents christian values then I want no part of it. I will go quietly on my own.Report

2. I am probably going to offend some people here, but to be quite honest, the various faiths that are embracing the politicization of religious concerns have never been especially known for their brilliant thinkers. Seriously, when was the last time you heard ‘theologian’ and ‘Baptist’ in the same sentence?Report

• Avatar North says:

I’m no expert on the subject but I am having trouble thinking of any… Billy Graham? Most of the theologians I’ve heard of are Catholics or Anglicans.Report

• Avatar JosephFM says:

You mean not in relation to Martin Luther King? He kind of sticks out.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

I recall a conversation I had with the assistant pastor at my wife’s church, who was visiting from Korea to attend an ecumenical religious studies program. He’s a Presbyterian, but the student body also included Catholics, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, and various other Protestant groups, and the lecturers included Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and probably others I’m leaving out. The only group missing were the Baptists, whose hierarchy wanted nothing to do with such heathens.Report

3. Avatar Mike Farmer says:

Rufus,

what did you find funny about this?Report

• Avatar Rufus says:

Eh, it just struck me as funny that I’ve been hearing about that trend for several years now and already Sarah Palin is the go-to reference. I can’t say if that’s a slight against her, the researcher, or “better educated Americans”.Report

4. Avatar Mike Farmer says:

I would imagine the overall trend since the Enlightenment has more to do with it than the “Palin Effect”.Report