The Tea Party-Social Conservative Split

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar North says:

Very interesting indeed. I’d like to take this opportunity to mention that the indespensible Bruce Bartlett has a post up explaining in elegant detail the relationship between the Chinese and American economies and currencies. I think a lot of the leagues economicly interested peeps would find it interesting.

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

Not to downplay the amount of animosity that exists between libertarians and social conservatives in general, but the vast majority of the evangelicals I know (Colorado Springs, bay-bay!) have less than no problem with attacking Obama. Maybe they won’t attack Michelle and maybe they won’t attack his kids… but being turned off by the Joker sign?

That does not read accurately to me.

Maybe it’s an Atlanta vs. Colorado Springs thing, of course.Report

3. Avatar Mike Farmer says:

None of this reads accurately to me. It implies a split between libertarians and social conservatives, then frames libertarians as name-calling, joker sign carrying meanies. I think this is just another excuse to divide and conquer — very poor analysis of the reality of opposition to progressivism. I wrote awhile back about the coming attack on libertarianism — everyone wants to maintain the old battle between social conservatives and liberals, but that’s all changing.Report

• Avatar Mike Farmer says:

Not “everyone”, just the status quo statists.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

“coming attack on libertarianism”

Has it ever stopped? We’ve been boogeymen for the right *AND* left for as long as I can remember. Everything the Republicans hate about the Democrats and everything the Democrats hate about the Republicans all rolled up into one.Report

4. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

JB, I”m a pleasant paleo and I always kinda liked libertarians.
    This is bs and the one guy’s opinion and that’s about all!
    Re: the differences between Bubba and BO it appears they’re subtle. It doesn’t look like BO runs around on Michelle but his heart overflows with the foul intent of commie bastards everywhere, just as Bubba’s did.For these n’er-do-wells its all about controlling the lives of other human beings and that, my palsies, makes these people wackos, nut balls, and deformed/derailed ideologists! Just because the Republicans are thieves, corrupt, and stoopid is no reason to vote democrat!Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Oh, Bob. I know that the Paleos don’t mind Libertarians that much. Us fringy guys need to stick together, after all.

It’s the folks with clout, or the folks who identify with the folks with clout, and the folks who imagine that they will someday have clout… they’re the ones who hate Libertarians.Report

5. Avatar Mike Farmer says:

Yes, Jaybird, I also wrote it’s nothing new, but the intensity and viciousness might increase as the stakes increase. I expect all anti-statism to be framed as violent, libertarian, anti-government radicalism.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

What drives me crazy is that we’re, like, less than 1% of the population. Less than 1%! John Anderson was the last guy to break 1% in a national election! Ever since then, the Libertarian percentage had to be rounded *UP* to 1!

And we’re still painted as people who are ruining/want to ruin the damn country.

Drives me batty.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Hell, the Jews are about .2% of the world’s population, but people still claim we run the whole thing. (The ones we haven’t yet managed to silence or buy off, that is.)Report

6. Avatar Mike Farmer says:

Like we all live in Montana cabins with a stockpile of cool weapons, you know. I don’t like the cold weather, so that counts me out. I keep my arsenal at my beach hut. The first black helicopter I see is in real trouble.Report