The Weekly Standard pulls a Cully Stimson

Dave

Dave is a part-time blogger that writes about whatever suits him at the time.

1. Avatar Gold Star for Robot Boy

Well done.
    But how many times does Weekly Standard, caught up in its ideological zeal, get to screw up before it is rightfully treated along the same lines as, say, World Net Daily?Report

2. Avatar Rufus F.

I’m really glad you’ve brought up the issue of foreign nationals. When we start talking about denying legal procedures to captured combatants as non-citizens, the first question I have is where does this leave refugees?Report

• Avatar Dave in reply to Rufus F.

Habeas applies to citizens and non-citizens alike, at least it should. I think the law is still on the books with respect to being able to deprive habeas rights to foreigners on US soil (since the al Marri case was withdrawn) but it would surprise me to see that take place. I could be wrong though.Report

• Nob Akimoto Nob Akimoto in reply to Dave

Foreigners have due process rights, and not even Scalia would say they don’t if they’re detained inside the US. (see his dissent in Boumediene)

As for refugees, the way the Boumediene decision was written, it’s likely that they’d fall under the same broad heading and be allowed a habeas hearing.Report

3. Avatar North

The Weekly Standard publish moronic right wing screeds with little to no basis in reality or law? That’s unpossible!!Report

4. Avatar Koz

Well you’re talking about a bunch of different things here, but about the Stimson thing in particular, I never got why it was such a big deal.

If AQ can afford it, they can spend $500/hr and hire Barry Scheck. If they can’t, they can hire somebody out of the phone book who makes a living defending DUI cases. In any case, one thing the WoT defendants don’t need is free representation from our law faculties and prominent firms.

Pro bono is actually short for pro bono publico, and I can’t see how the public is better off for their work.Report

• Avatar Dave in reply to Koz

Stimson was interviewed in his capacity as a government official working for an administration that was actively litigating many key cases against many of the people and firms he was specifically discussing. It was a completely inappropriate thing for someone in charge of detainee affairs at Gitmo and a former JAG lawyer. He should have known better.

Defined how? What do you think determines need? Are you a lawyer? If law professors decide to take on pro-bono work based on the belief that they think they have a winnable case and the defendant chooses to have this attorney represent him/her, so be it.

Can you please elaborate?Report

5. Avatar Gold Star for Robot Boy

This site deserves better trolls.Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

“Surely the Constitution doesn’t mean *THAT*!!!”

This is why I vote for the crazy people party. The two parties dedicated to sanity just don’t do it for me.Report

7. Avatar Publius

Dave,

Excellent post. We had an interesting back and forth on which rights accused terrorists must be afforded over at our site (some frequenters of Ordinary Gentlemen participated). I’m sure you are busy, but I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the debate.

The link is here.Report