Technical kerfuffles

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Did you ever work at the DOJ?Report

2. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

ED, I have a son-in-law who works for Rackspace in San Antonio. Maybe they can help?
    I wish I could, but heck, I’ve got dial up…I can’t even watch videos.Report

3. Avatar North says:

I’m melting! What a world… what a world…Report

4. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

You know North, The Wizard of Oz, is like a very favorite movie…does that have some underlying meaning?Report

5. Avatar Jaybird says:

I’m Rufus!Report

6. Avatar North says:

Damnit Jay! I was hoping that meme would stay dead.Report

7. Avatar Jaybird says:

Speaking of Obama being better than Bush on the topic of Medicinal Marijuana…

The total amount of marijuana seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration nearly doubled from 1,539 metric tons in fiscal 2008 to 2,980 metric tons in last year.

The numbers were disclosed as part of the DEA’s budget request for fiscal 2011.Report

8. Avatar greginak says:

gee i just thought the site was going Galt.Report

• Avatar William Brafford says:

We should do that, actually.

I am imagining Atlas Shrugged re-written to be about content-producing bloggers totally withdrawing from parasitic aggregators: withdrawing, smug in their purity, to a remote location to trade xeroxed zines.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

“Dude, your pager is going off.”
        “That means my xeroxes are ready!”
        “Let’s get in the horse and buggy and pick them up!”Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

The dystopia of a Galt’s Gulch perpetually stuck in 1997 (remember the noise modems make?) is one that, for some reason, becomes exponentially more appealing the more I think about it than less so…

The music is much better, for one thing.Report

• Avatar William Brafford says:

“Galt’s Gulch ’97” would be a great title for something, too. Everyone would listen to “Semi-Charmed Life” all the time. And I do remember the sound modems used to make. Has anyone figured out how to express it in text? Schueuooo-whheeeee, blorp blorp…Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Francis Dunnery has a song about how great it is to live in the future and the opening noises/music is the sound of a 56k modem connecting.

Nothing ages faster than the future, I tell ya.Report