The League Book Club

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Too highbrow for me! When you get to Tom Sawyer or Treasure Island, I’m all over it!Report

• Avatar Rufus says:

That’s a fair point. I’m hoping that someone here will propose the next selection from more contemporary fare. My problem is I’m really out of touch with good fiction, especially newer stuff.

Maybe one of the Leaguers would like to do the next book?Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

This is a *GREAT* one to start with. (The only other one I’d feel a worthy challenger to start with would be the Lysistrata.)

It’s been a while since I’ve read this (well, excepting Arisophanes’s story… I keep coming back to that one). I look forward to reading it again!Report

• Avatar Rufus says:

I’m wondering if it would be possible to embed a video… I remember a cartoon of that story in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which I’m assuming is on Youtube.Report

3. Avatar William Brafford says:

I’m in, and I like this idea.Report

4. Avatar Jason Kuznicki says:

Ritual wine drinking is optional.

I was with you until this part. No, it isn’t.Report

• Avatar Rufus says:

Well, you’re certainly welcome to do it. I just don’t want to tell people they can’t post comments if they’re sober. Not that it would necessarily be a problem for anyone here.Report

• Avatar Murali says:

Actually, non-sobriety is problematic for me. I do my posts at the university. (and I dont have drinks at home).

But hey, I’m weirdly conservative that way.Report

5. Avatar BCChase says:

Looking forward to it. Haven’t read any Plato since a high-scool trip to Greece about 10 years ago.Report

6. Avatar Alex Knapp says:

Rufus,

My collected dialogues is the Bolligen Series edited by Edith Hamilton and Huntington Cairns. My Symposium translation is Michael Joyce’s. Did I buy the wrong collection?Report