Jaybird Bait

Mark of New Jersey

Mark is a Founding Editor of The League of Ordinary Gentlemen, the predecessor of Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

Way back when, when I was a kid, I applied for a job at Boeing and I made it all the way to the interview process where I was asked “are you now, or have you ever been, associated with an organization that has advocated for the overthrow of the Federal Government?”

I said: “The Southern Baptist Church”.

The guy on the other side of the table did not laugh.

I did not get the job.Report

2. Avatar North says:

I wonder what you get for your 5 bucks plus a stamp? A certificate? Your very own pet State Ranger? A free subscription to Anarchists Monthly?Report

3. Avatar Jaybird says:

The worst part is that it’s not even particularly useful. So let’s say you overthrow the government. It’s not like they can then cite you for not having registered.

And let’s say you don’t overthrow the government. It’s not like they can ticket you for not having registered.

And if you are thinking about overthrowing the government and are on the fence, finding out “oh, I’ll have to pay a fine if I fail” isn’t likely to prevent a single person.

And if you do actually try to overthrow the government, fail, survive, and find yourself in jail, it’s not like the additional jailtime/fine will be anywhere near even the *THIRD* tier of your problems.

It’s, like, a microcasm of *EXACTLY* how and why governments tend to screw stuff up.Report

4. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

I’m watching a film from Netflix about a hero of the Soviet Union going home to see his mother. I feel sad for the communists and the commie-Dems, they really don’t have anything to live for.
    I’m drinking now…heavily!
    …for the Motherland!Report

5. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

The movie: Ballad of a Soldier
    A 1960 movie by director Grigori Chukhrai; tells the story of Aloysha who wins a 10 day furlough to go see mom and fix the roof to the cabin. He’d made Hero of the Soviet Union by knocking out two King Tiger German tanks (which incidentally were real King Tiger German tanks -70 tons I believe). The girl in the story, a broad hipped Russian beauty capable of procreating any number of healthy children for the motherland was, indeed, a lovely young lady!Report

6. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

Rufus and North, I do like your attitude. Kinda like Me having taken so much from the League, I have dues to pay. I have, from time to time, done my share of pontificating. Knowing I won’t win your souls for Jesus with a theological argument, I’ve tried to sneak in the back door (jokes aren’t necessary here) with a number of Voegelinian disquisitions…though I’ve apparently failed to penetrate (no jokes) the outer walls.
    Re: Bach, I enjoy that hi-class stuff but having been a three-finger guitar player of no repute for thirty years and suffered the loss of hearing in my right ear and Menerie’s disease, I’ve become a monorul human being.
    I’m currently involved in some mental fisticuffs with a coterie of transhumanists and I’ll link my response to the discussion for your fun…comments,of course, always welcomed.Report

7. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Old joke:

“My Dad failed his citizenship test again.”

“What happened this time?”

“They asked him if he favored overthrowing the government by force or violence, and he chose violence.”Report