“The Movement”

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar JosephFM says:

Well yeah. This is just the classic radical participatory-politics model of the SDS, applied to the right instead of the left.Report

2. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

“Come Senators, congressmen, please heed the call,
    don’t stand in the doorway, don’t block up the hall…
    For the times they are a-changin’ ”
    Bob Dylan, back in the 60’sReport

3. Avatar Katherine says:

Considering that he’s writing about the movement that valiantly elected a pro-torture Senator in Mass., I’m less positively disposed. If a mass movement doesn’t believe in the rule of law, it isn’t a democratic movement.Report

• Avatar historystudent in reply to Katherine says:

Brown was elected by a lot more than Tea Party people. And I doubt that any voter, whether a Tea Party goer or not, agreed with Brown on all the issues. Finally, if support for the policies that allowed the torture disqualifies someone in your view, then please look to the many Democrats who supported it. There were many “sheep” (inside political parties and out) during the Bush/Iraq years. And quite a few of them are not yet willing to admit they were wrong.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Katherine says:

I’m just glad that I didn’t support a guy who supports escalating land wars in Asia and who opposes investigations into torture.

I don’t know how those people look themselves in the mirror.Report

• Avatar Art Deco in reply to Katherine says:

Do you ever get tired of striking attitudes?Report

• Avatar JosephFM in reply to Katherine says:

Do mass movements ever believe in the rule of law?Report

4. Avatar historystudent says:

Since you read this, does that mean your mind is open, or do you still “know” what the Tea Party movement represents?

I’m not a regular goer to these events, but it annoys me when bloggers claim they “know” what drives this movement and who is in this movement, etc. This is true of some so-called conservative bloggers and columnists too because they seem to enjoy acting all superior to the Tea Party folks. Anyway, most of what is “known” seems to be just second-hand blather from the regular media. And even Fox News has a tendency, in its “reports” about the movement, to fail to understand it as more than trite anger. I’ve studied the positions of many of the movement’s branches. I’ve attended a local group that was born out of the movement. And frankly, little of what I’ve read here or anywhere comes close to capturing the true heart of the Tea Party.Report