Republican Revival Revelations

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

Really? Reading writers ranting (or regurgitating) rudimentary representations of rhetoric reveals ramshackle reprobate roots.

Repudiated.Report

2. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

E.D. am I wrong that Rush is leaning away from these neocons and toward independent conservatives…or am I having a senior moment?Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Let’s say one tries to fix a problem by doing X and it doesn’t work.
      Let’s say one tries again, and it doesn’t work.
      Let’s say one tries again, and it doesn’t work.

Eventually, one would hope that X is abandoned for, I don’t know, Y or something.

The problem is that some ideological opponents of one tend to respond with something like “you’re abandoning your beliefs, you’re being an opportunist, you’re a hypocrite” (I’m sure you know the routine) when one sees that X doesn’t work.

I don’t see this as a problem necessarily. Hell, even if X works like a charm for a dozen years then stops working, why not abandon X for something that works? Pragmatism is a very American Philosophy, after all.

The problem is that Rush has communicated in the past that he has said things because he’s just carrying water for his side.

If he’s abandoning the neocons, is he just going to be carrying water for the tea partiers and/or other independent conservatives? Is he saying these things because of his conservativism or is he just cynically following money?

Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a problem with cynically following money. I love cynically following money.

The problem is that if you follow someone who is cynically following money, you’re eventually going to wake up and listen to him explain how he’d been lying to you for the last few years and, seriously now, he’s shooting you straight from here on out.

Is Rush shooting straight now, Mr. Cheeks? Or is he just carrying water?Report

• Avatar E.D. Kain says:

Bob – my Rush line was for the “R” but also completely tongue-in-cheek. It was sarcasm.Report

3. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

JB, your opinions are always so interesting. I may be silly but following his last contract, I really don’t think Rush (mmm, mmm, mmm!) is all that concerned about money. My guess is he makes enough to smoke Montecristos!
    So I was just wondering what you guys think about Rush becoming a puricon (I just coined that word, and please see if we can use it!)?
    And, JB, what about the 2010 elections, what do you see?
    And, who’s going to be the GOP leader, if there is one?Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I just remember when he said something to the effect of “I feel liberated. I don’t have to carry water for people who don’t deserve it anymore” after the 2006 elections.

Remember that?

Is he doing that now?

How can you tell?Report

• Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

sarcasm or cynicism? hep me here!Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I don’t think that Rush was being sarcastic when he said that he felt liberated. (Do you need an exact quote? I can find one… Best to get one. One sec. Here’s a link from someone else entirely that links to the mp3… http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3063/rush-limbaugh-i-feel-liberated )

Do you think he sounds sarcastic? Cynical?

Help me out here.Report

• Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

JB, easy on the links, I’ve got dial up and I’m link challenged.
            It seems to me that, perhaps, Rush has had as ‘come to Jesus moment’ and refuses to be the butt-boy, (oops, sorry, that’s politically incorrect) for the GOP anymore.
            So we’ll see. I heard him today beating on the army brass for being pc bootlicks which resulted in Hasan massacring those folks at Ft. Hood.
            Let me know if I’ve been tricked, again!Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

You won’t have to hear it from me.

If Rush does what he did last time, then he’ll be the one tell you when he’s tricked you.Report