Bad Cult Movies

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar E.D. Kain says:

Dude, Clerks achieved cult status before Napolean Dynamite had ever been imagined.Report

2. I liked, but didn’t love, Boondock Saints. And I like Napoleon Dynamite a good amount, but I’m not willing to go to the mat for it. Van Wilder was pretty worthless.

But you’re going to go after Clerks? Them’s fightin’ words. That movie got me through years of working behind the register in the mid-to-late ’90s.Report

• Avatar JosephFM says:

I know, seriously. I get not liking its legacy (six Jay & Silent Bob movies, really?), but Clerks itself is still great.

I had roommates that were Van Wilder fans though, and was forced to put up with it because they put their TV near the kitchen. I loathe it so.Report

3. Avatar timmy says:

I’m right there with you on Boondock Saints. It’s like there’s a national bit of performance art going on, by which people claim they would take a bullet for this crappy movie, much to the vexation of guys like me not in on the gag.Report

4. Avatar Ryan says:

Clerks: 1994
    Boondock Saints: 1999
    Van Wilder: 2002
    Napoleon Dynamite: 2004

How long were you in college?Report

• Avatar Will says:

Movies often find cult followings years after they were released. If I remember correctly, Napoleon Dynamite came out either my freshman or sophomore year.Report

5. Avatar ASKlein says:

Napoleon Dynamite is one of those love-it-or-hate-it films—the film equivalent of olives. Hopefuls in Netflix’s open-source challenge—improve its Recommendation Engine by 10%—were frequently monkey wrenches in the algorithm. It was impossible to determine whether someone would like the movie or not based on past rentals.Report