Carte de resident permanent

Chris Dierkes

Chris Dierkes (aka CJ Smith). 29 years old, happily married, adroit purveyor and voracious student of all kinds of information, theories, methods of inquiry, and forms of practice. Studying to be a priest in the Anglican Church in Canada. Main interests: military theory, diplomacy, foreign affairs, medieval history, religion & politics (esp. Islam and Christianity), and political grand bargains of all shapes and sizes.

1. Avatar Cascadian

Congrats. I’m in that process meself.Report

2. Avatar Cascadian

How long did it take you from aplication to getting your card?Report

3. Avatar Chris Dierkes

I did an in-country application (via spouse sponsorship) and it took something like 14-16 months from sending in the application to today. It took me about 3-4 months beyond that to get everything together for the application. It’s not easy. But residency is much harder than citizenship. Once you clear the residency status (and actually live in the country), then it’s pretty smooth sailing to dual citizenship.Report

4. Avatar Ryan

“So in about 2 years if I can pass a history test and sing the National Anthem, I’ll become bi…..uh bi-national that is.”

If you would like to be bi-curious, you’ll have to sing a rather different kind of song.Report

5. Avatar Mark

Chris – you forgot the accent there…Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

However much a good idea it may seem at the time, you need to avoid the poutine at McDonald’s.Report

• Avatar Chris Dierkes in reply to Jaybird

honest to FSM, I have no idea how they eat that stuff. This is one element of this country I will never get. I wouldn’t eat poutine unless my life depended on it–and to be fair you probably won’t live long after eating the stuff so it may be a six o’ one half a dozen the other kinda thing.Report