Mad Men

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar E.D. Kain

Will – check your second link.

Re: Mad Men, I’ve only seen the first three episodes. I thought it was a bit much, quite frankly. The sexism is too overt, and I’m not sure that its portrayal is accurate enough. It’s almost too malicious, and not offhanded enough. I don’t know. I just think to the movies I’ve seen from that time. There was plenty of sexism, but it was … different than how Mad Men does it. Nonetheless, I’m intrigued enough to probably keep watching.Report

• Avatar Mark in reply to E.D. Kain

I agree with your sense of it being a bit too much. I believe it is justified in the sense that it has to to get a lot about the time across in 1 hour. I think the time constraint condones a little hyperbole/exaggeration.

I am curious about the movies you are referring to because I certainly share your opinion and would like to know specifically which movies you have in mind.Report

• Avatar E.D. Kain in reply to Mark

Well I watched a lot of Cary Grant movies and film noire…so things like Arsenic and Old Lace, Vertigo, Sunset Blvd., and just a bunch of other films. I mean, in most of them there’s some inherent or underlying or structural sexism, but it’s almost never, ever so overt.Report

• Avatar Mark in reply to E.D. Kain

I have a feeling that Madison Ave. in the early 60’s was more overt. The rendition may not be all too far from reality though I am sure there is a little exaggeration. Anyway, even considering this, the show is stunning. I think it really does belong in the upper echelon of American produced television.Report

2. Avatar James Joyner