Bleg

Mark of New Jersey

Mark is a Founding Editor of The League of Ordinary Gentlemen, the predecessor of Ordinary Times.

1. Avatar Will

I think you should put this on the main page, Mark.Report

2. Avatar greginak

Shouldn’t there be government stimulus money available for getting a better host???? I would support that.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird

Is this something that $20 would help with or are the amounts that would seriously help beyond what I could give without a discussion with the CFO?Report

• Avatar E.D. Kain in reply to Jaybird

At this point, every penny counts. We may set up a tip-jar judging by the responses so far. Stay-tuned. Question is – would advertising diminish the overall quality of the site? Would relying on donations be better for readers?Report

4. Avatar Miriam

I just started coming to this site, and I like it. I would toss in a few bucks. Why not do a fundraiser and see how you do?Report

5. Avatar sidereal

I would prioritize
    a) Finding a host that gives you shell access to your account without excessive constraints or red tape
    b) Finding someone(s) who can use that access to optimize your existing installation to better handle traffic

On the a) front, Dreamhost and MediaTemple both allow robust shell access in my experience.Report

6. I use WordPress – is that even an option for this type of blog?

As for fund raising, perhaps some kind of virtual carwash? Oh wait, we don’t hardly have any girls around here. Now I’m thinking of that scene in Dodgeball. Must-go-wash-image-out-of-brain.Report

• Mike – there are two forms of WordPress. There is wordpress.com which is a free, hosted blog-service. That’s what you use. Then there is the software WordPress, which you can install on your own domain. It’s much more robust than the hosted version, but you have to pay for your own hosting. That’s what we use.Report

7. Avatar Bob

I donate to liberal blogs, you guys won’t get a dime.

Really, you guys are worth a C note, at least. Count me in.Report

8. Avatar Mark Thompson

So you all would rather a donation drive than any kind of advertising?Report

• Avatar Bob in reply to Mark Thompson

Mark, what kind of $$ you looking at?Report

• Avatar E.D. Kain in reply to Bob

It’s hard to say, Bob. Right now changing hosts to deal with traffic is not a huge priority, but we’re steadily getting busier. Better hosting plans range from $16/month to $150/month. We’d be putting all the money back into the site, I imagine, so if we were well funded we’d probably go with a top-notch hosting plan. If not, we’d go with something a little less robust.Report

9. Avatar North

I also would throw in a c-note at least. Sparring with Cheeks alone is probably worth that much.Report

10. Avatar Dan Miller

I wouldn’t mind advertising at all, although I’d also be willing to chip in on a fundraising drive.Report

11. Avatar Bob

E.D. or whoever makes the final call, I’m sure this idea won’t find a lot of support but I would be more than willing to pay a monthly “subscription.” Nothing mandatory mind you but it might be easier for readers to chip in on a regular basis, or when they have an extra $5 or $10 to send the League’s way. I have no idea if such a thing is doable, just a thought. In any case, monthly or a lump sum, I’m happy to support the endeavor.Report

12. Avatar spiffie

I’ve generally heard good things about Square Space as a hosting provider. Their account pricing looks pretty reasonable. It’s worth noting that their not a traditional “roll you own” provider though.Report

13. Avatar ChrisWWW

I host a number of sites on WebFaction. They have very cheap shared plans all the way up to uber-expensive dedicated servers. Of all the hosts I’ve used, they are the quickest and most reliable.Report

14. Avatar Ryan Davidson

I’d suggest Media Temple. It isn’t on their main site, but a buddy of mine who runs a web development company indicates that they offer free hosting to popular blogs–this would seem to count–in exchange for one of their banners somewhere on the site.

Certainly worth looking into.Report