Beck’s Moment

Will

Will writes from Washington, D.C. (well, Arlington, Virginia). You can reach him at willblogcorrespondence at gmail dot com.

1. Avatar Mike says:

The interesting thing about Glenn Beck is that aside from being completely crazy, his substantive views on policy (if someone like Beck can be described as having substantive views on anything) are about as far as you can get from doctrinaire Republicanism

That is interesting; being as far as you can get from doctrinaire Republicanism is generally a sign of sanity, intelligence, and good moral character.Report

2. Avatar Katherine says:

Beck doesn’t have views; he has ratings. He says what he needs to to get them.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

For my part, I’m pleased that his ravings are getting the ratings they are.Report

• Avatar Katherine says:

Really? You’re pleased that Americans want to listen to a man say that Obama is racist, hates white people, and is using health care reform as reparations?Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I see what you did there.

Pretty sneaky!

No, that’s not the thing that makes me pleased. I’m touched that you’d think that that would be the thing that warms my surely two sizes too small heart, however.Report

3. Avatar JosephFM says:

Yeah, it’s kind of funny, but that was sort of what I was noting the other day, regarding Michael Moore: to the degree that Beck’s current rhetoric overlaps with Moore’s (or Taibbi’s), that’s pretty much the only place I can really agree with him or the whole “Tea Party” critique. Hearing Moore on the radio, he at times sounded like Ron Paul(!). If I seem a lot more wishy-washy, it’s probably because I sort of straddle that line in the Greenwald article. I’m a quiet guy, and I know a number of good people in government, but I can’t help being aware of the deep, deep problems in our system. And I lack the confidence that good people with good intentions is good enough.Report