reminder

Erik Kain

Erik writes about video games at Forbes and politics at Mother Jones. He's the contributor of The League though he hasn't written much here lately. He can be found occasionally composing 140 character cultural analysis on Twitter.

1. Avatar Roque Nuevo

Does this apply to your friend, Freddie, constantly insulting me? I know his pride is hurt, but still…Report

• Avatar Freddie in reply to Roque Nuevo

Pride hurt by what? You were wrong, in your comment towards Will– not “I disagree with you” wrong but objectively, factually wrong. In addition, you were engaging in an almost self-parodic amount of insult towards Will. You were treated in kind. That’s life.Report

• Avatar Roque Nuevo in reply to Freddie

Where was the insult, according to you? I don’t find it anywhere, which is why I appealed to the “hurt pride” explanation. One’s pride can be hurt (or one can become “depressed” (Will dixit) if one realizes that one has been duped into a political movement under false pretenses. Tell me how I insulted anyone, and I’ll apologize right away. It’s not my intention to insult anyone…in contrast to yours.

I simply said that York’s point was clear to me all along, that is,

For many liberal activists, opposing the war was really about opposing George W. Bush.

I realize that you have a wealth of experience in the antiwar movement and certainly I do not want to attribute any such “partisan” motives to you, personally, or to Will, personally, or to anyone you know, personally, etc etc. York’s point is a generalization, which I find accurate, as a generalization.

You say that this is “objectively wrong.” Maybe, and maybe not. York has come up with some evidence to support his generalization, which is more than you have done.
        Perhaps the word “partisan” is a wrong choice, since it implies the Red/Blue divide in the US. I think “political” would be more accurate. The antiwar movement was/is political in the sense that the movement is a way for it to achieve power over the state, etc etc., irrespective of the merits of the “antiwar” philosophy.

Finding that the antiwar movement is “political” in this sense may be what depressed Will (according to his post) since this implies that it was and is not motivated purely by humanitarian philosophy or whatever. It’s contaminated by politics.

I thing that Will is young enough to have been duped by such a movement, like a lot of people were and are. It’s nothing new, after all. But now, he may see more clearly, after he gets over his “depression.”

So, Where’s the insult?Report

2. Avatar Lev

I was tempted to just leave a post full of nothing but curse words, ad hominem attacks and spurious claims just to rebel against the system, but I’ll save that for my 3:00 conference call.Report

3. Avatar E.D. Kain

The comment policy applies to everyone but it is non-binding. It’s a suggestion not a rule. Lord knows I’ve not always heeded it myself.Report

4. Avatar Jason Kuznicki

Welcome to August. Everyone’s tetchy in August. September can’t come soon enough.Report