Friday Genius Ten

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

I’ve been stuck listening to My Bloody Valentine’s _Loveless_ a lot. Whenever I think I should switch it out and listen to something else, I go through my stuff and come to the conclusion that it’s not as good as _Loveless_.Report

• Avatar James says:

I went through a phase of exactly this that lasted a while. Loveless is flawless. Haven’t listened to much MBV recently, but see them live at all costs. Mind-meltingly loud experience.

More recently I had a severe Mars Volta era which reduced me to musing at social events that if I wasn’t surrounded by all these damn people I could be listening to Frances The Mute on my iPod.

& now I’m just shuffling boredly through any song which lacks sub-bass…Report

2. Avatar Will says:

I find At The Drive In hard to take, but British Sea Power’s “The Decline of British Sea Power” is criminally underrated.

Also, you should put this up on the main page.Report

• Avatar James says:

<3 British Sea Power hard. No other rock band could make every idea from a pro-immigrant ballad to a song about the implications of the Uncertainty Principle just work.

However, I also find One Armed Scissors one of the most pleasurable listening experiences there is.Report

• Avatar Will says:

Agreed, though I thought “Do you like rock music?” was a bit disappointing.

I pretended to like ATD in high school, but honestly, they’re just not poppy enough for my tastes.Report

3. Avatar E.D. Kain says:

This could dovetail nicely with Friday Night Jukebox, actually…Report

4. Avatar Bob Cheeks says:

I can’t get John Prine’s “Paradise” outta my head!
    White dude’s favorite R&B tunes:
    1. Wiggle Wobble, Les Cooper and the Soulblazers
    2. Do You Love Me, Contours
    3. Shotgun, Jr. Walker and the All-Stars
    4. This is My Prayer, Theola KilgoreReport

5. Avatar Bdell says:

I play the entire bottom half of Sam Cooke’s ‘Live at the Harlem Square Club’ every Friday at 4:30, starting at “Bring it on home to me.” He turns ‘You Send Me’ into this pleading prayer just before the song, then its all happy hour outros.Report

6. Avatar James says: