Happy Canada Day

Chris Dierkes

Chris Dierkes (aka CJ Smith). 29 years old, happily married, adroit purveyor and voracious student of all kinds of information, theories, methods of inquiry, and forms of practice. Studying to be a priest in the Anglican Church in Canada. Main interests: military theory, diplomacy, foreign affairs, medieval history, religion & politics (esp. Islam and Christianity), and political grand bargains of all shapes and sizes.

1. Avatar Jaybird says:

It’s still “Dominion Day” to me.Report

2. The Guess Who greater than Rush??? Wow: Dierkes you never fail to disappoint.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

I was thinking that he may be wanting to watch his back because he will never know when he’ll turn around and find himself face to face with Gordon Lightfoot.Report

3. Avatar Chris Dierkes says:

Mon Dieu. The greatest Canadian rocker (solo though in various mostly American bands) is of course Neil Young. So any arguments as to band are of course secondary to that fact.Report

4. What about The Tragically Hip?Report

• Avatar Chris Dierkes says:

Good call. If Scott were here he’d probably say them. My sense is that real Canadians give title of best Canadian band to The Hip. I’m not a real Canadian, –hell at this point I’m in Levitical status (“resident alien”)…don’t any Canadians touched that hanging fruit left after the gleaning, it’s mine mofos!!!

iow, my choice of best canadian band reflects my american-ness.Report

• Avatar Chris Dierkes says:

I should add that I once went to a Tragically Hip concert with Scott, my now wife, and some other friends of ours. It was a nice concert and I thought they were a good band (and I had listened to them through my Canuck housemates at the time), but I couldn’t get into the way the Canadians did. Something genetic/cultural was missing in me.Report

• I just thing there’s something beautifully poetic about the line “You said you didn’t give a f**k about hockey, and I’d never heard someone say that before.”Report

• Avatar Chris Dierkes says:

no diz-oubt.Report

• Avatar Mark says:

Count me as a Canadian non-fan of the Tragically Hip, who seem to devote every song to Ontario cottage country nostalgia. Upon listening to that Phantom Power song you refer to – which also includes the line “he’s in the National Business Program,” perhaps the worst lyric ever written – for the first time, my girlfriend at the time said “The Tragically Hip are like an orange-carpeted basement from 1972.” Truer words have never been spoken.Report

5. Avatar E.D. Kain says:

Canada rocks. Vancouver is still one of my favorite cities of all time. I’d love to live there again. And Banff National Park is amazing….Report

6. Greatest Canadian band? Clearly Bootsauce.Report