Free Advice to Released Uighurs

Chris Dierkes

Chris Dierkes (aka CJ Smith). 29 years old, happily married, adroit purveyor and voracious student of all kinds of information, theories, methods of inquiry, and forms of practice. Studying to be a priest in the Anglican Church in Canada. Main interests: military theory, diplomacy, foreign affairs, medieval history, religion & politics (esp. Islam and Christianity), and political grand bargains of all shapes and sizes.

1. Avatar Nathan P. Origer

LSD the drug or LSD the amazing road in Chicago? The latter is an incredibly wonderful trip, at least at night, with the skyline to one side and the lake to the other.Report

2. Avatar Chris Dierkes

Both I suppose. The latter I’ve actually driven on. The former I’ve only heard about.Report

3. Avatar E.D. Kain

The former I’ve actually driven on. The latter I’ve only heard about.Report

4. Avatar E.D. Kain

You know, of course, that this makes you a terrorist loving nihilist – right Chris? Advice to the (perfectly innocent) Uighurs! For shame!Report

5. Avatar E.D. Kain

It is ironic that so much wrath has been spilled over the transfer of the detainees from one island tourist location to another…Report

• Avatar Mark Thompson in reply to E.D. Kain

Well, hey, they’re clearly really bad dudes who are guilty of unbelievable acts of terrorism and have been subjected to nothing but the most reliable of due process. After all, if you can’t take the word of the Chinese government, who can you trust?Report

6. Avatar Mark Thompson

Jellyfish without stingers? How is this not proof of evolution?

Anywho….I’ve never taken a trip on either LSD. But I can imagine swimming in a lake filled with stinger-less jellyfish would obviate the need to ever take a trip on Timothy Leary Street.Report

7. Avatar Scott H. Payne

Mark, you would think that, but I would argue from personal experience that you’d be wrong. As perhaps the only Leaguer to have tuned in, turned on, and dropped out, I will report that LSD is a thing unto itself. Not to be over-hyped, but in clean form one heck of an experience.Report

8. Avatar E.D. Kain

Scott – oh no, au contraire, I have tuned in, turned on, and dropped out many times (though not anymore). I have also been stung by a jelly fish. And I must say, the former is far better but has many more long term consequences than the latter.Report

9. Avatar Chris Dierkes

Swimming in the lake with the stingless jellies was really nerve-racking at first. Your mind keeps telling you “they don’t have stingers, don’t worry.” But your instincts keep telling you–“get the f@#! outta here, what are you doing?” Once they came up (and I was the only one out there at this point) and there were like hundreds of these things basically covering my body I could relax and it was other worldly.Report

10. Avatar E.D. Kain

Sounds pretty surreal, Chris.Report

11. Avatar Dave

Nihilists.Report

12. Avatar Chris Dierkes

Excuse me, that’s terrorist lovin’ nihilists to you.Report